The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Balance shaft or No balance shaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockracer

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2009
Brighton, Colorado
i just got a talon tsi awd with 99,000 miles on her. first thing i wana do is make sure she is in good running condition, so i have been seeing and hearing alot about balance shaft removel, so since i was going to do the timing belt setup and water pump i was wondering if i should delete the shaft or not?
thank in advanced!

i just got a talon tsi awd with 99,000 miles on her. first thing i wana do is make sure she is in good running condition, so i have been see and hearin alot about balance shaft removel, so since i was going to do the timing belt setup and water pump i was wondering if i should delete the shaft or not?
thank in advanced!

There are two balance shafts. If you have the chance I would remove them. They will only cause you headaches down the road. I don't know if you can get the front one out with the motor in the car though.

Mine a just got a 97 cent freeze plug from auto zone for the front one. The back one i cut the end of the balance shaft off with a sawsall and welded the end closed. I think any kit would be fine.

That's partially correct. Whatever kit you choose to use, make sure it has a groove for oiling on the stub shaft. If it does not, they have been known to seize and cause a catastrophe. Your safest bet is to buy a Mirage stub shaft from JNZ Tuning - I believe I paid $8 for mine. Do NOT use the PD kit - it does not have the oiling provision. You can even leave the front shaft in and just cut the belt - not only will this keep you from having to screw around with sealing the hole, but it also prevents the high oil pressure that comes with blocking the oil ports.

Removing the BS has been known to cause some issues, so these days less people are recommending that you do it. One issue is that removing the shaft that goes to the oil pump and replacing it with a stub can put a lot of side load on that stub and eventually cause the oil pump to fail. A solution for this is, rather than remove the balance shaft, get it turned down on a lathe to remove the weights, but retain the other end of the shaft that rides on a bearing. This keeps the oil pump gear properly centered and will keep it from getting worn. You *have* to know what you're doing to machine the shaft properly, though. Another solution is to buy the replacement shaft from AMS which does the same thing. (I'd provide you with a link, but the AMS website isn't responding for me right now).

Here's a thread about it on EvolutionM

Here's a picture:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I kept mine when I replaced the timing belt and water pump. I used kevlar belts, so I'm not too worried about them breaking.

i was going to use Gates time belt and balanceing shaft belts, b ut still am unsure why people remove them? what are the problems that people have with them?
thanks

i was going to use Gates time belt and balanceing shaft belts, b ut still am unsure why people remove them? what are the problems that people have with them?
thanks

I took my balance shafts out because the belt broke on my car and was shredded all throughout the timing cover . I was lucky enough that it didn't get caught it the belt itself and throw the timing off.

we are putting my engine together now and my buddy talked me into removing mine.
said it will rev quicker pick up a few HP and vibrate a little more. LOL

the 4g63 has a bad enough history of meltdowns already so do you really want to add another reason for it to fail in the future?

I kept mine when I replaced the timing belt and water pump. I used kevlar belts, so I'm not too worried about them breaking.

If your balance shaft bearings fail and the shaft seizes that Kevlar belt will just recoil harder when it snaps. Balance shaft bearings are loaded heavier than the rod or main bearings. If you keep your balance shafts they must be maintained.

Personally I replaced the balance shaft bearings with OE units and used an OE belt.
After 183,000 miles the balance shaft bearings were visibly worn while the rod and main bearings looked like new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back