The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

balance shaft elimination question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

and1chewy

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2009
Honeybrook, Pennsylvania
i have a question about the balance shaft elimination intructions i found here (dont remember where unfortunatly). but i have all the parts the new stubby and block off plate. my question is about the block off plate and the instructions for it. i noticed on my oil pump that there is a seal with a hole that the balance shaft goes through that is just sitting in the pumb. The new block off looks to be the same size its just solid now hole as for the instructions they say to jb weld the heck out of it. my question is is this really necessary? the two plugs seem to be the same size the the one thats in my pump is just sitting in there like i said before ( it is a brand new oil pump). i guess my thinking is if the old one wouldnt fall out why would the new one so intern why the need for the jb weld?:confused::confused::confused:

Just for extra insurance so that the cap wont pop off. If that little block off plug comes out, you are going to have a super size oil leak. I used the OEM rubber block off seal and just tapped it in place. NO JB Weld on mine...and its fine. However if you're using the metal (freeze plug) type block off then you might want to use JB Weld. The reason I say that is cause the front cover is aluminum and the plug is steel I believe. Well when the engine heats up the aluminum it can expand and cause the plug to fall out. I recommend using the OEM rubber block off for the front balance shaft hole.

Thanks!! yea i talked to a guy from mitsu when i ordered the plug ### i had the solid metal plug and he specifically said the same think about metal expantion(unlike metals expand and contract and diff rates). i scrapped that one for the big $9 expense of the oem plug, :thumb:.

ive got the oe rubber plug in mine, but i still jb welded the crap out of it. extra insurance cant hurt right? i mean, if you have some sitting in your tool box, why not spend the extra 2 minutes for that extra peace of mind?

Does anyone have the part number for the rubber plug?

It should be MD092785. Its a rubber plug with metal inside it. I think its from a Hyundai that didn't have balance shafts. It fits perfect and it wont crack the front case when you're tapping it into place like those metal ones tend to do. No need for JB welding it either. Maybe a thin coat of RTV silicone, then tap the plug in with a rubber mallet.

it is a mitsu part # its from a 1.6 liter mirage not an eclipse.....:thumb:

got my stuff from mitsubishipartscenter.com the cap was $9.36 + tax..... had trouble finding stuff locally every1 was out of stock they had plenty

mine is welded. which is bad if you ever wanted to go back to bal shafts. but i never will so its all good. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back