1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Bad TPS....AGAIN?

Posted by ChrisFlo, Mar 13, 2007

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    The reason why AJ's TPS was doing what it did was due to a blown sensor ground inside the ECU and not really the capacitors. They were leaking and would have killed the ECU given time but at some point he had a wiring issue shorting the sensor ground to 12v and that vaporized a circuit trace on the board.

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. o0GuitarKid0o

o0GuitarKid0o Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Winnipeg ,MB, MB, Canada
    Just to post for future peeps I had a similar experience with an ecu I rebuilt I missed a little dot that was corroded (transfers on side of the pcb to the other) and it was the ground from the 100 uf capacitor and caused my tps to be pegged at 99% at idle and idle surge when throttle was pressed I also touched up a solder joint but thinking it was the one near the 100 uf cap

On a side note blew an isc driver today ROFL isc is not in spec and wouldn't even move . Was chasing this high idle for a few days when hot LOL noticed it wouldn't go below 60 on the data logger . Now what na ecu to turn into a parts ecu hmmm. I have 4 6255 ecus LOL

Street Build 551  7

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
  3. AllanL

AllanL Proven Member

Joined Apr 24, 2008
    LV, Nevada
    any are EPROM? :)

4. o0GuitarKid0o

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Winnipeg ,MB, MB, Canada
    No eproms those are super hard to find , I tried finding one a while back so I could burn an nt chip for my car when it was n/a. Think the image is still on the Yahoo DSM-ECU group

Street Build 551  7

fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
  5. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    FYI, The little dots from one side to the other are called via's.

On the DSM ECU's corrosion can cause the trace leading up to the via to separate from the via at a microscopic level causing circuit opens. It's a pain to test continuity of each one. :)

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
    o0GuitarKid0o likes this.
  6. o0GuitarKid0o

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Winnipeg ,MB, MB, Canada
    Good to know what there called Haha I woundnt mind making a tech article dedicated to ecu repair (like the maintenance guide ) for diyers with more information than anyone could ever need , your posts have come in handy to many times be good to have an all in one guide here on tuners

Street Build 551  7

fwd · automatic · 1G DSM