The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Possible bad TPS? Need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperFudge

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 26, 2011
Parma, Ohio
Hi everyone! I have another problem that i need help diagnosing. I personally believe that my throttle position sensor is on the fritz, because when i would be driving the car (AT) and out of nowhere the car would drop a gear or two which will send the RPM's up to about 5-6k. Then a split second later the car will go back to normal. On another note that could be related the car will surge when holding the accelerator steady when driving but this only happens under 3,000 RPM. BUT this only happens at any given time.

I took my ohmmeter and connected it to the TPS terminals 1 and 3 and got 4.5k-ohms (spec 3.5-6.5k)

So that was fine but next i connected the ohmmeter to terminals 2 and 3 and very slowly opened the throttle all the way to WOT but i didn't notice any jumps in the values.

So all the symptoms are pointing to the TPS but the readings came out okay.
What do you guys think? I don't want to replace it if it's okay, because that's $60 wasted.
Any help or advice is welcome!
Thanks!:)

Last edited:
Are the TCU's in these cars susceptible to the same capacitor failure as the ECU's are? I'm not sure, you may check that if someone verifies that this is a potential point of failure.

Ok, i called a few shops around my area to see if they can dig into my car and possibly test my TCU. Surprisingly they told me that they actually "don't want to look into the car" also "since its OBDI it will take to much time to figure out whats wrong with the car." Another shop had no clue what the hell a TCU was.

When i finally got ahold of this one particular shop they wanted almost $400 just to diagnose some stuff. Not including the necessary repairs...
Obviously they are giving me the reach around. And yet again with this car i hit another wall with nowhere to look.

Any advice you guys? :)

Im moving to Cleveland in two months which is a 7hour drive, i need this car to be running right.

Bump, still having problems. It still drops gears, stalls, and shudders. To top it all off this has caused me to get involved in an accident. It's been to two mechanics and alot of trail and error on both sides behalf. Over $500 later, still not fixed...

I'm getting tired of this damn car.
I need some input on this problem.
Please.

If the tps test's good than it is good. Have you checked for transmission codes? What color is the fluid, and what does it smell like?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back