The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Back firing during start up, idle jumps straight to 3500rpms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin2g

Probationary Member
Feb 8, 2012
Mount Vernon, Ohio
My 2g recently under went getting a new head put on, Before this the car ran fine, Smoked a lot But did run and drive just fine, After I installed the new head 2g head 1g bottom end, I'm having some issues, Mainly with a large backfire before the motor turns over and also idle issues when started, The car will bog between 900-1200 and constantly try to die, When you give it gas it shoots straight up to 3800rpms and stays there, I try to bring the idle down by engaging the clutch a little bit and the car dies. The car as arc 2 The settings were messed with to try and solve this situation (Previous owner had it set but during the head swap I believe the switches were played with) not sure if its the anti lag settings causing the backfire during start up or what? its a 4 bar map on speed density tune. I checked the oil and smells like fuel, by the look of the plugs the car is running VERY rich. I did do a boost leak test for the idle to find a I needed a throttle body gasket, But still the idle jumps to 3800rpms, Next guess is to move onto the tps or the cas? If anyone else had a similar problem and knows what to do to assist me! LOL I'm all ears. the intake manifold gasket was changed during head swap. I'm sure its something little that i'm over looking. Any ideas?!?!

are all the coils hooked up properly?

Attachments

• null-28.jpg
    null-28.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 48
its a coil on plug set up, Also I just retried timing and also turning the cas 180... Now I changed intake manifold gaskets because I used the 1g instead of the 2g hoping that would change things and replaced throttle body gaskets while I was at it. But now i'm getting no start. So I bought new ngk plugs and put them in and still having issues starting now, Starter will roll over and motor will start to come alive then it dies. I also had to splice another injector clip in due to old one ripping off because of the wiring mess....Idk if this is gonna be a problem in the future but I'm planning on soldering it together after its finished and runs.

Can you get any info on the arc as far as to where I should have the settings at? That's one thing I believe is messing up the function of the car as well....

update on the siuation changed intake mani gaskets which now the car idles and runs but still if you tippy toe the throttle idle then shoots to 3500 gonna do a boost leak today but whats the chance of bad tps or cas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back