The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

heat up during idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm96rs

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
so at an idle occationally my eclipse will begin to overheat. then after like 5 to 10 seconds of scarring me to death it will begin to cool down after driving. ummm....termostat or what?

Connect a 16 guage wire from the third from the lower left engine fuse box(RAD FAN(HI) VENT RAD (HAUD VIT) ) bottom slot to the sixth from the bottom left fuse (COND FAN(HI) VENT COND (HAUT VIT) ) top slot and this will start both fans when the sensor kicks in. Of course pull the fuses before inserting the wire in the slots and replace the fuse in it's place when done inserting the wire

Sounds like a bad thermostat.. More than likely isnt opening up. Make sure the little jiggle valve is on top in your thermostat housing. I hope your not running one of those "performance Thermostats"

it sounds like his fans arent coming on since it only does it at idle. I would definitely check to see that they are operating.

Stupid question but have you checked your coolant level? Mine did the same thing but it turned out it was way low on coolant. Start with the simple stuff first.

yeah i did coolant already last month. i will check out the fans and all. thanks. so either thermostat or the fans just arent kicking in?

if it is ONLY doing it when the car is idling, and NOT when you are moving....then Im going all in on your fans not working

Ive never had this issue but could possibly be air in the block causing circulation issues. Just a thought.

Ok so still does it while idle but now slowly heats up during motion now. Still therostat or fan or still possibly just harness? First time I drove for week. Was in storage so did not hve a good look. But will really soon now. So check fan still. Connect to battery to see if they come on in order to check the harness right. Then also check thermostat now that it is sometimes when in motion?

When its idling....pop the hood and listen for the fans. Then if you can't hear them, turn the car off and wire them to the battery and see if they come on. You can do this whole process in maybe 10 minutes if you work slow, you could have did this a week ago :p

Yeah you can definitely straight wire the fan to the battery to see if they come on. Sometimes the fan motor can go bad and cause overheating while idleing. You can try this before changing the thermostat since it's free :D iIf your fan does work then go to your local autopart store and replace the thermostat. Also if it does end up being your thermostat i would recommend doing a radiator flush and replacing it with new coolant. Try and not use water as it adds corrosion and can create a problem. :thumb:

Thanks everyone. I will wire up the fans today. O should have done this last week but was out of town so put car in storage. But will check the wiring and check if fans even come on.

Yeah you can definitely straight wire the fan to the battery to see if they come on. Sometimes the fan motor can go bad and cause overheating while idleing. You can try this before changing the thermostat since it's free :D iIf your fan does work then go to your local autopart store and replace the thermostat. Also if it does end up being your thermostat i would recommend doing a radiator flush and replacing it with new coolant. Try and not use water as it adds corrosion and can create a problem. :thumb:

Thanks for tip about the flushes and the no water. Ha would not want problems down the line

Oh and if it does not come on when idleing but comes on with battery it would be the harness that needs replaced correct?

my '95 gst does the same thing, it only heats up when idling, but i have cheked my coolant, fans, and thermosat, and all seem to be in working condition. i really like the idea of utilizing both fans though, thats something i'll try, and have thought of already but just didnt know how. thanx dsmers

My car had the same.problem turn out the antifreeze miture was a lil weak. Added more then everything was fine

same here. i ended up fixing it but the dsm is running through coolant like no other! eats it up so fast! any suggestions?

by " eating through coolant" do you mean it's burning the coolant or a big leak? if your blowing white smoke out the exhaust, you probably have headgasket failure.

coolant is just being gone sooo quick. not leaking at all. there is no leak but just burned up so quick

perform a leak down test to confirm a blown headgasket

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back