The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Axle seals leaking.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronEclipse

Probationary Member
Oct 20, 2002
Turlock_Ca
I've replaced the axle seals twice now, and the leak seems to get worse after each time. The last time I took the seals off I couldn't see anything wrong with them so I replaced them anyway. This all started after I changed the axles after changing the clutch. No leak before axles, then I replaced the axles and seals at the same time, and it hasn't held gear oil since.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing something wrong, when putting the new seals in I'm pressing them in with my thumbs until they are flush with the transmission and then installing the axles, doesn't seem to be the right way of doing things.

I've come to the conclusion that either:
1. I'm doing the seal install wrong. I followed the vfaq on them.
2. Something is wrong with the axles.
3. Maybe the inner seals are bad? really don't want to remove the tranny again, removal isn't bad, it's the install part I dread.
4. Are the seals different? Extremepsi only lists one seal for a fwd, but I've read up on two, I ordered two MD742053

Thanks, sorry for a long post, just trying to solve this issue, been going on for over a year.

Car is a 97 GST Manual

Check the seal surface on the axle. Also are you installing the seal with the flat side out and the spring on the inside? If the seal surface is good and the seal is installed right than you might have a leak in the case somewhere. Also there is no internal axle seal.

Take the axle back and have them exchange it, use some grease around the lip of the seal when re installing the axle. Then again getting two defective axles is a long shot ,are you getting them all the way in make sure there is no space between the axle and the seal after you install them.

Sure you have the correct seals? You say you are able to install the new seals by just pushing them in with your hand? They should require more force then just pushing them in by hand, typically a hammer & something such as a socket need to be used to install.

For a good seal install I also add a thin layer of RTV to the outer layer of the seal (I like the grey stuff for most locations). Rub a thin layer of oil on the seal inner edges before installing the axle. Slide the axle in straight as to not knick the seal, then lock/snap the axle into place.

As mentioned also check the sealing surface on your axle for any nicks/damage & verify the seal fits correctly on the axle.

The seal is with the flat face out. It is not damaged and in there all the way. The axles are fully seated (clip is locked in) the seals are the part number I listed above. I've ordered 3 and they all looked the same. I say push them in with my fingers, but its with force with my thumbs and they are snuggly in there

You might have the wrong seals.

The right seals, you wouldn't be able to just push them in place with fingers.:nono:

It really needs some force to get them in, Use some RTV as stated before, But you have to make sure to DRY CLEAN the surface where the Seal goes, If the surface (transmission) has some lubricant, RTV will not stick the way it should and will cause a leak....

You also have to see where exactly the leak is coming from, If it is leaking between the seal and axles, or between the seal and transmission.

Hope this helps.

Give us some information about your car or fill up your profile.
What Car? (1g, 2g), (Automatic, Manual), All what we know, is a FWD.

Like I said its not easy to push them in, it takes a lot of force but I can work them in with my thumbs. The leak is coming from the middle of the seal where the axle goes in.

The car is a 97 gst manual, I listed that on the bottom of the first post. I'll have to fill out my signature later.

I'm thinking the axle I got was made wrong, it only has about 500 miles on it, but it has leaked ever since I put it on

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back