1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Automatic Trans upgrade thread

Posted by TJCTalon, Jul 25, 2012

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. black97spyder

black97spyder Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2012
    independence, Kansas
    Lol yeah that is a confusing drawing. I think he was trying to show (and make sure) that you have some ducting going towards the trans cooler so that air goes through it and not around it

755  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.55 @ 120 · 2G DSM

1K  19

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.810 @ 106.530 · 2G DSM
  2. 11Banger

11Banger Proven Member

Joined Dec 26, 2011
    Ft. Stewart, Georgia
    What size trans cooler are you guys running? I assume youre running -6an lines

3. J_HEATH

J_HEATH Proven Member

Joined May 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    LOL yeah, I'll just post pics when I do mine again. I just got my front bumper repainted.

Also, I run the largest B&M cooler made with tight 90 degree fittings, -6an lines going to the trans with whatever (can't remember the size going into the trans) to -6 straights. Also made a T fitting with the temp sensor inline.

4. black97spyder

Joined Oct 13, 2012
    independence, Kansas
    I'm running the IPT 28,000 lbs GVW cooler (biggest one they offer) and 7/16" lines running from the trans to the cooler on the passenger side with a brass T fitting for a temp sender in the return line. :thumb:

755  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.55 @ 120 · 2G DSM

1K  19

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  5. TJCTalon

TJCTalon Proven Member

Joined Aug 20, 2009
    Aurora, Colorado
    Are you guys using stock torque converter bolts with your kiggly flex plates?

I heard of issues with stock bolts?

807  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.400 @ 142.051 · 2G DSM
  6. black97spyder

Joined Oct 13, 2012
    independence, Kansas
    Yep with my 7 bolt Kiggly flexplate I'm using the OEM bolts the bolt it up to the block with blue loctite @ 100 ft lbs and 4 OEM converter bolts with red loctite tightened as hard as I could get them with a wedge in the converter teeth and a long 17mm wrench. Only thing I had to do for fitment was cut the inner part out of the starter spacer so the converter bolts wouldnt scrape it as it spun (see my profile for pictures of it), and also some people have to notch their rear crank seal housing but I did not have to. You'll just have to mock it up on the block to see if it touches the housing or not.

755  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.55 @ 120 · 2G DSM

1K  19

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  7. killercolt

killercolt Proven Member

Joined May 23, 2008
    Acworth, Georgia
    Do not use John Deere fluid. This is one of the most stupid idea ever. I know Kiggly said he use it but he must be mixing it with a lot stabilizer or something. If you want to screw your tranny up, put some of these craps into your tranny. I made a mistake of using John Deere fluid and roasted my tranny after 8 passes. John Deere fluid does not have stabilizer to keep it from foaming up. Once it foams up, it will just disappear. It is crazy how it can just evaporate like that. I noticed the foaming the first time I pulled the dip stick to check the fluid level. I can see the white foam at the top of the residue mark on dip stick. I kinda say fxxx it and stuck it back in like a dummie. I went to the 1/8 miles and made 6 passes. I came home and drain the fluid to check it. 4 out of 9 quarts came out. I refilled it with new John Deere fluid to the correct level and went to the 1/4 miles. After 2 passes, the tranny was dead. When I drain the tranny this time, 1/2 a quart came out of the tranny. I took the tranny apart and everything was roasted. It was a complete lost. I had zero leak. Where did the fluid went? Freaken crazy. John Deere fluid is 100% straight crap.

I have tried Castrol import auto trans fluid. This oil is junk too. It will foam up at idle with out adding stabilizer to it. 1 quart of B&M tranny fluid will keep the oil from foaming.

So far, the best oil is the Valvoline Import Synthetic. It is about $6.50 per quart and will not foam. My friend introduced me to this oil. It comes in a blue bottle. You can get it from Advance auto part store. We went to track with and there was zero foaming. After 6 runs, the clutches and the oil did not burn up.

8. AWD Tuner

AWD Tuner Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2008
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I thought you were only supposed to use ATF+4 in these trannies not a generic import fluid?

Also, is it true you can run the Kiggly flex plate on 6bolts and not have to use a flex plate spacer or shim?

1K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
  9. J_HEATH

J_HEATH Proven Member

Joined May 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    You have to use the spacer on the Kiggly flex plate. ARP flywheel to crank bolts fit, just make sure they are for an auto and not a manual. Also you can drill and tap your converter to accept larger ARP torque converter bolts.

If you use the OEM converter bolts use a LOT of red loctite and toque them down as tight as you can. I had all of mine back out at the track once.

10. TJCTalon

TJCTalon Proven Member

Joined Aug 20, 2009
    Aurora, Colorado
    What spacer needs to be used?

Do you have the part number for the ARP bolts for the crank made for auto??

Does ARP make torque converter bolts that work? What are you using for hardware now?

807  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.400 @ 142.051 · 2G DSM
  11. J_HEATH

J_HEATH Proven Member

Joined May 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    Extreme psi sells the flex plate to crank bolts. You can call jnz to get the spacer, I can't recall the part number.

The torque converter bolts are 1/2" ARP converter bolts. Like I said you'll have to drill and tap your converter.

IMG_20130124_135614.jpg

IMG_20130124_135920.jpg

IMG_20130124_135818.jpg

IMG_20121226_212351.jpg

12. codeofdastreets

codeofdastreets Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    dunedin, Florida
    When he mean end clutchs and front clutchs does this mean a oem replacement or a upgraded aftermarket??

542  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  13. mrfister11

mrfister11 Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2010
    clinton, Missouri
    I pulled 118mph after hitting 7k and letting off on my fwd in third.. roughly stock tire size.. I was using stock trans and converter. Shift kit in valvebody. I could stall converter up to 3800 or more no problem and build whatever boost I wanted but was pointless being fwd. I was on a stock 180k mile engine and hx35. Ran the 118 many time letting off at 18psi street tires at 35psi. 2.2 60ft

14. J_HEATH

J_HEATH Proven Member

Joined May 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    I run IPT end clutches and Kiggly front clutches.

The end clutches can be installed with the trans in the car, the front clutches you'll have to remove the trans pump to access the front clutch basket.

Just be sure to torque everything back to spec, make sure your pump gasket is in good shape and not torn or replace it, and make sure the metal spacer or shim is in place correctly before you reinstall the pimp.

The IPT end clutch kit comes with all the seals required when replacing them. Make sure you replace everything.

15. casperfast

casperfast Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2006
    Salem, Oregon
    so can anyone say what could have gone wrong in my trans for my pump driven gear to seize and the drive gear to break into 4 pieces? i have posted other threads and even pictures but have zero idea. i was running the blue wire mod and i was using the launch control in v3 to allow me to launch at 15psi. i was breaking traction on my launch but the trans went out at the end of the 3rd pass. everything else in the trans looks fine. was new fluid, new filter (500 miles)

767  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM