The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Automatic tranny fluid on manual tranny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andakanda

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 11, 2009
Bergen, Europe
Hi dudes

having some minor trouble with my tranny, some grinding when put into second gear, as if the synhronization is off or anything. Never been driven hard by me but dont know about previous owner

My mechanic buddy told me that maybe putting automatic tranny fluid into my manual tranny would help because the autoamtic tranny is abit thicker and will help "brake or slow down" the synchronization abit when changing gears ? Can anyone confirm this?

also i ordered a short shifter today , as told by the tech upgrade path here at dsmtuners

NO NO NO NO!!!!! you will mess that thing up to hi hell and back. sounds like you need a syncro. auto trans fluid is way thinner then gear oil my friend. your buddy is a moron.

Auto trans fluid is hydrolic fluid

Manual trans is Gear oil

I would NOT recommend putting automatic transmission fluid in your manual transmission.:notgood: Have you checked to make sure that the fluid level is okay? If not, I would do that first. If it IS full I would first try to change out the fluid to see if that helps any. Good luck!:)

haha ok cheers, i have no idea so im glad i asked you first :)

ill install the short shift in a week or so when it gets here and buy some bad a s s fluid :)

i know this is a very stupid question i got a 91 tsi 5speed where can i check/add the fluid

where can i check/add the fluid
On the front of the tranny casing (across from the radiator fan), is a bolt about mid height and in the middle of the gear area.

You pull the bolt out and poke a finger in the hole and it should come out wet. If not, you put GL-4, 75/95w gear oil in the hole until it starts to pour out of the hole. then put the bolt back on.

..and it's best to do this on level ground so you can get more accurate readings...

..and REDLINE MT-90 is great stuff!

NO NO NO NO!!!!! you will mess that thing up to hi hell and back. sounds like you need a syncro. auto trans fluid is way thinner then gear oil my friend. your buddy is a moron.

Auto trans fluid is hydrolic fluid

Manual trans is Gear oil

This! Ill say it once more, your "mechanic" friend is a moron... :ohdamn:

On the front of the tranny casing (across from the radiator fan), is a bolt about mid height and in the middle of the gear area.

You pull the bolt out and poke a finger in the hole and it should come out wet. If not, you put GL-4, 75/95w gear oil in the hole until it starts to pour out of the hole. then put the bolt back on.

..and it's best to do this on level ground so you can get more accurate readings...

..and REDLINE MT-90 is great stuff!

where in relation to the reverse light sensor is it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back