The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

tranny fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlacasse1

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2009
Scott AFB, Illinois
i read a post where people were saying to put ATF-4 in you Manual tranny.

Is this right? and what would be the benefit?

my tranny grinds into second or if you go from reverse to first.

i read the ATF will clear up griding pretty good. that's why i am curious.

I wouldn't put ATF in my manual tranny, there is a reaason why its "ATF" and doesn't say "universal tranny fluid". Just go with the royal purple stuff or i just used redline 10w30 and it worked well.

That was for the 2g 420a engines not the 1gs. 1g specifys 75w90 gl4 gear oil.[/QU

just like hhuricane said 75w90 gl4 no Syncromesh type oil or you will be replacing your syncro's redline mt90 with a little heavy shockproof works good and is what rre recomends. I also like AMSoil they have a 75w90 gl4 that works great.

I understand the concept of putting what is recommended in a car. I really do.

I was just asking if there is any truth to the ATF-4 suggestion.

And I think I will try the Redline. I've seen it suggested alot.

I would never put atf in my manual trans but hey its your trans your putting at risk. Call shep or jacks trans see what they say.

I don't really like the sound of putting auto fluid in a manual. But I read a thread where several people said they used it and it worked better than any fluid they had tried before. And I was just curious if anyone else has experience with it.

It might work but if your trans has miles on it you should stay with what was in it, changing the oil may disrupt the seals in the trannie and your syncros.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back