The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Auto Trans Goes Into Limp Mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NVdsm

Probationary Member
Nov 6, 2019
Henderson, Nevada
So apparently I’m starting a collection of eclipse’s LOL A good deal on a low mileage 99 10th anniversary gs came up and I went for it. Don’t have a need for it really it was just a good deal LOL. So when I test drove it and drive it home it seemed to shift fine. Only thing it did was shift kinda hard out of park or into park. PO said bad motor mount caused that. Couple days later i go to accelerate little bit harder and it went into limp mode. I turn it off and back on and it’s ok. I accelerate little hard again and goes back into limp mode. It didn’t have a cel but I scanned and there was one code for p01776.

Taking a shot in the dark I went ahead and got a new shifter solenoid, filter and enough stp atf+4. I drain, change filter and change solenoid and fill it up. I’m careful to not add too much. ( I’ve checked multiple times after driving a bit And in natural it reads just little below the top hatch’s. )
It seemed to have fixed my initial issue of shifting hard out of park. And has yet to go into limp mode again even when accelerating hard. Which is awesome but now something else has shown it’s ugly head and that’s when I’m in any gear other then first and I’m slowing down to a stop when the trans shifts into first most the time it kinda clunks, jerks, shudders right when it goes back into first when I stop. I’ve never done drain and fills in autos is this something that happens till I put some miles on it? Any ideas what to try? I did try and new input speed sensor since it’s super cheap and easy but didn’t do anything. Thanks!

The transmission fluid gets checked warm in neutral with the engine running, is this how you checked it?

yeah that’s how I’ve checked it.

You didn’t say how many miles were on it.

A drain and fill will not replace all of the fluid in the trans. Now that the new is mixed with the old fluid, you should check the condition and smell of what’s in there now, and consider another drain and fill and filter.

Most of us who have rebuilt, or had rebuilt, our transmissions, find several parts that needed replacing. It often seems to show up around 150k+ miles.

Our rebuilder replaced all of the shift solenoids, clutch packs, and a drum. There are DSM trans professionals as members here that can speak to this, but diagnosing over the internet is not easy.

Transmission issues are not the only thing that will trigger limp mode, so you’ll need to take those into account too.

Car has 115k miles on it. Ya I plan on doing some light driving around and rechecking the fluid for smell and color then. Just odd that I never had this issue before when coming to a stop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back