The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Auto Trans. Capacities

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boost95

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2004
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Ehh, I hate to even post such a simple question but I have been searching for the last 2 hours and have not gotten a straight answer. I also looked in my Chilton and in the front of the book it says "see text" and in the text it says see capacities in the beginning of chapter. How much fluid does the auto trans take? Its for my g/f's auto which is why I know nothing about it. I was planning on taking it to a shop to get it flushed. I was going to put in Redline high temp ATF with lubeguard. The redline is about $10 a quart.. Whats cheaper. If you can find a post with the capacities please send it to me because I couldn't find it!
Thanks,
MIke :talon:

95 TSI AWD

Everyone in here probably knows the answer :nono: . PLease let me know

My trans went out with just a boost controller but lee is going 10's with just a trans controller.

Nobody knows. My car was owned and operated by a lady, looked to be in good shape and drove really nice til it broke.

Some guys beat their dsms and they last forever.

Boost95 said:
I was planning on taking it to a shop to get it flushed.
That's your best move. I'd pay for an adjustment, too.
I was going to put in Redline high temp ATF with lubeguard.
Bah. How many thousand miles has the stock fluid lasted?
If you can find a post with the capacities please send it to me because I couldn't find it!
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130756
7.1 quarts. I don't know if that includes the torque convertor. Do a lot of research before wandering from MOPAR ATF.

I came across that post for 7.1 quarts but im trying to find a 100% correct answer so I know how much fluid to buy when I take it to the shop. I hate to take anything to a shop, but I know nothing about autos. Its a new transmission, it has about 20k on it maybe a little bit more. Thanks for the post on the capacities DEFIANT i missed that one somehow. As for a flush and adjustment.. Do you think it really needs it with only 20k ? Now I guess my only question is what fluid to use. I know transdude uses lubeguard and I think it was amsoil. Only reason im staying away from AMSoil is because the store I deal with does not stock it=therfore no discount :barf: Thanks for the posts tho. Id like to get this done and take it down the track. I never ran an auto b4 :thumb:

Doh! I should really read the thread before i post :(

I was thinking power capacity.

Im guessing your girl drives a 2nd gen auto? You really dont tell us what she drives but that its an auto so thats my guess. 7 1/10 Quarts is for the transmission and converter. To drain the fluid from the transmission is like doing an oil change but if you want to get the converter fluid changed you have to drop the pan. I would not recommend redline mainly because its 10 bucks a bottle and im guessing your g/f isnt going for the all out 400+hp car. I suggest Mobil 1 Synthetic tranny fluid with a bottle of friction modifier(lubeguard). That is what I use in my transmission and its been good. I run a 60-1 on my car so that thing takes a beating.

Boost95 said:
As for a flush and adjustment.. Do you think it really needs it with only 20k ?
That's what they're supposed to find out when they service it.
Now I guess my only question is what fluid to use. I know transdude uses lubeguard and I think it was amsoil.
Anything Transdude has to say about gearboxes far outweighs what I have to say about anything on here. He's one of our five or six actual experts.

Defiant said:
That's what they're supposed to find out when they service it.Anything Transdude has to say about gearboxes far outweighs what I have to say about anything on here. He's one of our five or six actual experts.
transdude says to use synthetic but doesn't exactly say which brand in his tech forum post about extending the life of your auto trany. so would be the amsoil lubegard? Is this that much better than mobil 1? How much is a quart of the amsoil? thanks

I asked what he thought about royal purple and he felt it was a good product for our cars. He obviously sells another product though wich I'm sure is also an excellant product.

not to intrude but what exactly is it they adjust? also i have heard only to use mitsubishi tranny fluid because of the mineral oils in it. do i just take 10 or 12 bottles to the flush place and thay will use that? thanks

Sorry to get here late.

This is the accurate information:

Service 5 quarts (approx)
VB removal and replacement 7 quarts (approx)
Dry fill (New Trans and Torque Converter) 10-11 quarts

-John

transdude said:
Sorry to get here late.

This is the accurate information:

Service 5 quarts (approx)
VB removal and replacement 7 quarts (approx)
Dry fill (New Trans and Torque Converter) 10-11 quarts

-John

Ahh yeah, I was about to say.....I had a simple drain and refill and only needed about 5 quarts. Makes sense on why you may need more depending on situation.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back