1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Are all DSMs like this or is it just mine?

Posted by GinNBoost, Oct 28, 2004

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. CrawlinZX14

CrawlinZX14 Proven Member

Joined Sep 7, 2011
    Carpentersville, Illinois
    Thats is sounding to me like your bringing your RPM's up in stop and go traffic which has everything torquing in one direction. Then when u let off the throttle the engine slows but the inertia of the chassis keeps it going forward. What your feeling is the driveline bouncing back and forth to slow the chassis to the engine. Every non brand newly built car will do that. The only way to completely stop that is replace EVERYTHING in your driveline. U joints, CV's, trans, T case, everything. As time goes on, those parts wear down and become sloppy engaging. Meaning there is a gap in there which is where the "bucking" feeling will come from. You tend to get that less in a FWD as there are less parts to get lose, but RWD is the most noticeable. Normally its exaggerated by worn U joints in RWD vehicles. Its "normal" in a way.

2. Chill Kill Kult

Chill Kill Kult Proven Member

Joined Dec 24, 2011
    West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
    ^ that's about damn right. the first time I drove my talon was thinking like i was driving an old truck. I got a lot smoother over time, but it's just me babying it.

3. Sebba

Sebba Proven Member

Joined May 11, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Entirely false.

4. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho
    (...course, I'm cheating here since I learned clutch on a Massey Fergerson Model A, Right Hand Drive tractor, left hand shift, hand throttle and all mechanical clutch...all at the tender age of 8 yrs old...had to actually stand on the clutch pedal and work the gas while I let the clutch out. Killed it many times until I got the hang of hitting that sweet spot so I can get the tractor to move without killing the motor. After I got that down, it was a nothing to drive that tractor..)

Put the OP on a big ol' John Deere dual lug wheel tractor pulling a 6 bottom plow set with full manual clutch-no hydraulics-and hand throttle... and he'll learn clutch real quick on how not to do any bouncing.

Once you master that, then you can drive any clutch car or pickup/truck without any jerks.

Trick with driving clutch is to find the sweet spot when you let off the gas and dump the clutch where you can shift in stop and go traffic and feel that you're driving an automatic.

1K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    · 1G DSM
  5. NOSLO2PT0

NOSLO2PT0 Proven Member

Joined Aug 31, 2002
    Joliet, Illinois
    Christ. Welcome to 7yrs ago!

6. Tiki2777

Tiki2777 Proven Member

Joined Oct 9, 2011
    Omaha, Nebraska
    also, on this "decelerating bucking syndrom," I've found it goes away if you keep your foot slightly on the pedal (open the Tb just slightly) and still slow down of course.
    my .02

Street Build 2K  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

915  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Proven Member

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    you will only wear out your clutch on a down shift if you slip it real slow. if you put in the clutch, break a little bit to around the desiered RPM and then let out the clutch normally (trying not to slip it) it will not wear out the clutch. if your in 3rd at 4k rpm and downshift to 2nd at 6000 rpm or what ever of course that will be rough.... AND wear the clutch excessively; because the clutch ends up helping the motor slow down due to the clutch disk rubbing on the flywheel, slowing down rotation until you accelerate

why in the world would you gas with the clutch in at all BEFORE you shift??WTF

more like coast through (in neutral, clutch out) then clutch IN, shift, clutch OUT/ gas on.

you guys and your F&F double clutching

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

622  17

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution
  8. estoyaqui30

estoyaqui30 Proven Member

Joined May 26, 2003
    Somerset, New Jersey
    I kind of have that too. I have a lot of gear lash in the rear differential, so from accelerate to decelerate the car will almost buck in stop and go traffic when I stay pin 1st gear. The transmission and transfer case have both been replaced so now it's just the rear left. If you put the car on a lift and put it in neutral, parking brake off, you can turn the drive shaft about 5 to 7 minutes worth....if you think of it as a clock.

9. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Proven Member

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    carrier bearings and bushings, and rear diff solid bushings.:thumb:

dont know what to tell you about the drive shaft play.. not sure if thats normal or not. i would think if you have an LSD that would be normal as it allows for some movement. i have bucking when rolling about 5 mph in 1st same thing. its bushings and carrier bearings man.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

622  17

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution