The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Aluminum Heat Shields

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knochgoon24

DSM Wiseman
Jan 29, 2008
Troy, Michigan
I have some aluminum sheeting that's .020" thick left over from making a cold air box (works wonders), and I was wondering if this would hold up as an exhaust manifold heat shield? I'm not sure on the grade of the aluminum.

The stock heatshield on my car has seen better days.

I'd hate to put the time into making this just to see it melt.

What's the oem shield made out of?

I'm not sure. I've heard it's tin, and I've heard it's aluminum.

If it's an aluminum, I didn't know if it's an aluminum alloy that better handles the heat or not.

It's flimsy enough to be aluminum.

if it is rusty tit is not alum. non ferrous metals do no rust

You will find that aluminum holds up remarkably well at high temps as long as there are no structural loads.

I made mine out of very thin aluminum bent and riveted the sides and corners to make it a bit stronger. It looks and works great. Just keep in mind that the stock heat sheild bolt holes are not on level. I tacked a alum washer to mine to keep the bolt from pulling down one spot on the shield.

its easy to do and you will love it. I dont know how well it 'shields heat' I made a grilled cheese sandwich on mine after a few hot laps at an event. after that i did a header wrap around the stock manifold and put the shield on top of that. Huge improvement.

I made mine out of very thin aluminum bent and riveted the sides and corners to make it a bit stronger. It looks and works great. Just keep in mind that the stock heat sheild bolt holes are not on level. I tacked a alum washer to mine to keep the bolt from pulling down one spot on the shield.

its easy to do and you will love it. I dont know how well it 'shields heat' I made a grilled cheese sandwich on mine after a few hot laps at an event. after that i did a header wrap around the stock manifold and put the shield on top of that. Huge improvement.

Now that you mention it, we have talked about grilling some hot dogs at our local car club meets...

I'm going to try making the manifold shield tomorrow. If that goes well, I'll try the more complex o2 housing shield.

I have a Saturn alternator I'm swaping in soon and I want to try to keep as much heat off as I can. I might even try sandwiching some fiberglass between two layers, since I think the stock ones are setup that way.

Well i don't know if you ever ended up making your shield or not. But the other day i had some free time during lunch and was able to make mine. I made it out of a small sheet of SS. I know it's not aluminum like the one you planed on making but since this topic was already about heatshields. I thought i would just post in here. I think it came out ok. Let me know what you guys think?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well i don't know if you ever ended up making your shield or not. But the other day i had some free time during lunch and was able to make mine. I made it out of a small sheet of SS. I know it's not aluminum like the one you planed on making but since this topic was already about heatshields. I thought i would just post in here. I think it came out ok. Let me know what you guys think?

:thumb: Came out legit

They are for sure made from mild steel. Its an either aluminized, or more like a galvaneel "cheap galvanized steel or galvaneel". Fore sure its not electroplated true galvanized. I'm thinking its aluminized. There is a woven fiberglass aluminum backed fabric out there you can get from parts store"look in the exhaust section". If you make one, and backed it with what It'd hold back heat a hell of a lot better.

I used it to coat the under side of my fuel tank on my GSXR so the tank wouldn't get so hot. Also Yoshimura makes a carburetor shield thats backed with the same material that works wonders for cooling the intake charge and fuel. similar to this one. :thumb:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,025

[/IMG]

That's Exactly what mine looked like. Only mine was made of aluminum and i riveted the corners. I installed mine with alen heads though all 3 bolts holes+ some washers that i mentioned earlier.

you friend, are ready to grill some burgers.

any one have any thoughts on doing a sandwich with fiberglass between two pieces of aluminum.. i feel like that would make a great improvement to this mod.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back