The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Alternator problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjbiker031

15+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2007
Bradenton, Florida
OK well i walked out to my car to go to work yesterday night and it was dead. So i took the battery to get charged and tested, which came out OK. Then i put my Fluke to check the charging system and it gave me a 12.86 turned off and a 13.81 running. So a checked the connections and tested it again and it gave me a 12.87 turned off and a 14.06 running. But when i tested the system the second time running it gave me a 13.15 at first and i gave it a couple rev's and it jumped and stayed at 14.06. I did notice a bit of oil on my alternator from an unknown leak on that side of my GST. Could the oil on the alternator be causing the problem or something else. I don't really want to be throwing money at something that doesn't need to be fixed.

Sounds like your alternator is good.
You could test this by disconnecting the negative battery terminal with the car running , if it stays on it is good, if it turns off then the alternator is bad.
I would agree on the oil causing a little problem for the alternator, i would get this fixed asap as with time it will crap out your alt.

Yeah i wasn't going to do that....didn't sound like a smart way of testing things.

I haven't noticed power steering fluid leaking at all, but there is oil on the drivers side of the block, and i did notice my cam seals are leaking...but i doubt it would leak enough to put that much oil out. I do go out every so often and spray brake cleaner cleaning the oil trying to find the leak, but i never spray electrical components.

Just because a battery checks out good doesn't mean it is. Autozones tester is a piece of shit. I had a red top that would lose a volt a day that I wasn't using it. I charged it and brought it to them to replace. Cause I know it needs to be charged to be tested. It came out good. Lady argued with me, so I went to a different autozone. Got the battery replaced and haven't had a problem since. Sounds like your alternator is working.

It seems to be working fine now. i went out and tested it after it sat over night. It's still at 12.85 turned off and 14.16 running. i think it was just a bad connection on the battery. I'm probably going to install a voltometer so i can watch it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back