The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Alternator choke fuse fusible link 120amp blown. what now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmxunderground

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2007
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I'd like to start by saying that if it werent so rediculously cold here everytime I need to work on a car I might not need so many heads to save time. But that being the case, I appreciate your reading and help.

PROBLEM: 120 AMP fusible link (alternator choke) blown

ACTIONS TAKEN:
- alternator switched for known good (alternator taken out tested good today at shop)
- battery posts clean and correctly fastened
- battery ground solid
- alternator connections secure, don't see any frays from beneath
- battery slow charged and holding 12V

ADDITIONAL INFO:

I purchased a new 120amp fusible link, I installed it with the battery cables off. Reconnected everything then turned the key to the ON position. All power items failed to respond, no headlights, gauge illumination etc. When I pulled the fusible link out, everything works fine including starting and running. Attempted to slide the link in again once more after checking for obvious accidental grounding and the connections ARC at the installation point. (battery cables left on that time)

After reading many posts, I have found no follow up on similar problems as too those persons solutions. If you guys have any ideas, especially those of you who have kept up with my fuel issue post, please lend me some suggestions. Also, if you have time and want to PM me your number to discuss it I'm game. I'll write out any relevant conversation info to this post.

Thanks!

UPDATE: For an unconfirmed reason, after checking all of the connections and reinstalling everything again tonight. The car now starts and is receiving power from the alternator.

if something changes from now to tomorrow afternoon i'll add it.

RESOLVED: A very small portion of the copper wire running from the alternator to the fuse was exposed. Just small enough to be looked over yet large enough to touch and ground out on the engines bare metal. Repaired wire and life is good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back