The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

adam4g's 1G Drag Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam4g

Probationary Member
Oct 9, 2014
Carney's Point, New_Jersey
Hello everyone. So after a few months of learning, researching, and searching I found my first DSM. A clean low-mile 92' Eagle Talon TSi AWD auto. My plans are to to build an occasionally street driven drag car. I'm starting this thread to document all my progress and hopefully get some input from those more experienced. All comments are welcome good or bad. I'll try my best to let the pictures do the talking. :thumb:

When I first brought it home.
IMG_0577_zpsd396ee13.jpg

Next to my buddies Colt.
photo_zps287dc03e.jpg

Bone stock engine bay.
IMG_0661_zps2034fe97.jpg

Not sure whats up with the pictures. I'mm using the IMG code provided by photobucket and pasting directly into the reply. if this is incorrect or if someone knows a fix let me know because I have alot more pics to post

Cool car should be a great base to start with. Looking forward to the updates.

Not bone stock, but pretty close. Has a hacked aircan (stock one is fully covered) and someone took the exhaust heat shield off (probably because it was rattling.) I'd recommend some kind of shield again because the manifold gets everything super super hot without it. I ran without one for a few years and there was a noticeable difference putting it back on.

Not bone stock, but pretty close. Has a hacked aircan (stock one is fully covered) and someone took the exhaust heat shield off (probably because it was rattling.) I'd recommend some kind of shield again because the manifold gets everything super super hot without it. I ran without one for a few years and there was a noticeable difference putting it back on.
Good eye! Hahah the air can wasn't hacked, just removed and put on the back seat for some reason :idontknow: and I removed the heat shield to check the condition of the manifold.

About 2 months ago I pulled the trans at a friends house to have it built and confirm that I have a 6 bolt (wasn't sure up until then) so that I could order all the right parts in the future.

This is how the car sits currently. Kinda depressing, but things are gonna pick up quick when spring hits.

IMG_0685_zps107872e6.jpg

6 bolt :thumb:

IMG_0686_zps56dfc677.jpg

I Haven't really touched the car since the trans was pulled. Still trying to figure out where I'm gonna take the trans. I started collecting some parts. Here's what I have so far .

Precision 6262
IMG_0684_zps4a845e64.jpg

Manual Boost Controller
IMG_1933_zpsc0db81d4.jpg

AEM Wideband
IMG_6266_zps378d0a3e.jpg

STM ABS Delete Kit
IMG_8076_zpsa4a49e17.jpg

Jay Racing Fuel Pump Rewire Kit
IMG_6179_zpsb00942b2.jpg

IPT Trans Rebilld Kit + IPT High Stall Converter
IMG_2521_zpsc349351f.jpg

IMG_4625_zps2f2ea608.jpg

Good deal! What kind of transmission cooler comes OEM on your car? I've never seen one for a 1g.
A really small one? :idontknow: I'm actually not too sure hahaha. I'll have to snap a pic for you next time I go to see the car.

So this is why I will no longer let anyone I don't fully trust do anything to my car...

IMG_0695_zpsf569172d.jpg

:banghead: If anyone has a spare drivers side spindle they'd like to sell me or some info on where I could fine one that would be awesome. I've checked most of the local junkyards and parts stores... no luck.

Nice progress so far and Damn would I love your car... Been in the market for an Auto awd panda... But I guess my platform will have to do for now :hellyeah:

Keep us updated and good luck with the build.

Sub'd

Holy s***!!! Decided to look back at the old build thread today. Seeing how much has changed since my last post and seeing how much I've learned is pretty damn cool. I've done a lot to the car since then but unfortunately I didnt do a great job of documenting all the changes. I'm gonna try my best to bring this thread back to life and update it with the few pictures i have. Hopefully you guys will follow along :thumb:

Here are a few pictures of the current setup. It's a stock bottom end 6 bolt w/ an IPT built trans and converter
ARP head studs
GSC S2 cams
GSC springs and retainers
Cometic MLS head gasket
AEM tru-time cam gears
PTE 6262 (undivided T3, BB)
JMF bottom mount manifold
Custom DP to full 3" exhaust (bumper exit coming soon)
Tial 44mm WG
Tial 50mm BOV
AEM 320lph in-tank pump
Fuelab regulator & filter
PTE 1200cc injectors
Ebay 3.5" core FMIC
B&M supercoolers (oil & ATF)
Mishimoto radiator & slim fans
Megan Racing coilovers

Currently tuned @ 20 PSI (gate pressure) on 93 pump gas using Ecmlink V3. The tune is pretty conservative, still working out a few bugs. I quickly learned after my first 2.9 60Ft that the stock 2.0 bottom end + big turbo + cams + not enough converter= no power untill 6k RPM. :notgood: So I think I'm gonna try a healthy shot of nitrous. :hellyeah: The car is currently apart while I address a few things that need to be done before worrying about going any faster. I.E. crankcase ventilation set-up, coolant overflow set-up, power steering delete, solid motor mounts and battery relocation. Going to try my best to update this thread from here on out. As always all comments are welcome! :thumb:

IMG_0315_zpsfoa3jqgb.png
IMG_0302_zpsssqifr0z.jpg
IMG_0082_zpsid61dkos.jpg

IMG_0141_zpsi3snqov1.jpg

IMG_0325%201_zpsrwnfbbfy.jpg

nice build so far man, could I ask for a pic of how close the turbo is to the water pipe? I am looking at running a similar turbo and want to see the fitment.

nice build so far man, could I ask for a pic of how close the turbo is to the water pipe? I am looking at running a similar turbo and want to see the fitment.
Thanks man it's come a long way but there's still so much more to do. As for the turbo fitment. It's very close mabey an 1/8" between the compressor housing and water pipe. I had to do a little bit of gentle persuasion with a pry bar to get clearance.

78662F0E-70FA-41F3-BA8F-739AD4999FA1_zps1ddynifx.jpg

Awesome thanks for the picture man , it seems no matter how I go about it I will have to give that water pipe a little coaxing in order to fit the turbo I would like to run. Very nice set up so far man keep up the great work.

Started working on my driver's side motor mount tonight after work. It was SHOT. Got it all welded up and ground smooth. Getting painted and reinstalled tomorrow. :thumb:

8B8DD396-15DB-41EA-B369-6741692EDADE_zpsyuzox6kz.jpg

Small update... got the motor mount all finished up and had my valve cover welded. I removed a few other parts to be cleaned and painted while waiting for stuff to be delivered. I decided to relocate the battery to the back of the car. I'm currently addressing the birds nest of wiring that was hiding behind/under the battery tray. :banghead: I'm also making a new upper I/C pipe, modifying the trans mount, adding a catch can and coolant overflow resovoior.

FE332E23-44EA-483E-9B83-DCF47903C446_zpsafgpdqhp.jpg
814A7A16-91DE-4B14-A073-E0BB3E4D2E01_zpscqj0sldz.jpg
BB4C9053-5CC2-4A17-899A-047E6A98FD24_zpsbxgrjyaw.jpg
5DFFF455-D75B-4569-8138-0B3D0648D5A8_zpsyk9ousxx.jpg
FBF89618-B4BA-480A-8CA7-7CB0D0844666_zpskmzwxtti.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back