The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

A word about recalls

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I had an opportunity to discuss recalls on my personal car. I bought a very low mileage 97 Talon that needed the transfer case yoke replaced. I expected to have it covered under recall. Not so anymore. Chrysler informed me the recalls expire after 10 years, yes even safety related recalls. I informed them about the mileage etc etc. They said it didn't matter. Well I wasn't about to accept that so I called the NHTSA. They told me the very same thing. So for all you guys still discussing various recalls you may be out of luck. I was told if a dealer performs a recall with the latest turbo DSM being 13 years old now it would be out of good faith and not legal obligation. Your results may vary but that was my experience.

Ball joint separated in march, dealer replaced with no
Hassle. Even the cv joint it took out along with it.

Yeah, I had the same thing with my winter beater. There is one outstanding recall on it, but it is 10yrs after and the dealer won't do it.

Checked the NHTSA website and found same thing you did, safety recalls are only good 10 yrs from when they are published.

My 94 eagle talon awd t case drive shaft seal kept leaking. I knew of the recall and took my car into the chrysler dealership had them check it out. Of coarse my car being heavily modified, i was surprised they didnt ask any questions but i did have to print off the recall online because they couldnt "find" it in there computer. So they took it for a day and replaced the output seal. Drove it home, pulled into the driveway and looked under the car it was still leaking! So the next day i took it in and had them check it out again, after an hour they said they were going to have to order a new t case!!! After all said and done 1 week later i got a brand new t case installed in my (at the time) 15 year old car.
Recall success!!

Yeah, I had the same thing with my winter beater. There is one outstanding recall on it, but it is 10yrs after and the dealer won't do it.

Checked the NHTSA website and found same thing you did, safety recalls are only good 10 yrs from when they are published.

You might try a different dealer. None of them are obliged to, but you just might find one like the "Good-guy dealers" listed above who will honor it for you. Its worth a try, since the worst they can say is no.

Ok I just came upon this...

So if I go to the dealership and ask about recalls, they're going to me, " No its out of the question? "

BTW I plan to call tomorrow to see if I can get certain things replaced.

There is no way to know what they'll do. All I said is they are no longer legally obligated and they know it. Thankfully none of the recalls are really expensive to repair anyway.

There is no way to know what they'll do. All I said is they are no longer legally obligated and they know it. Thankfully none of the recalls are really expensive to repair anyway.

Alright thanks for the info bro! :dsm:

Friend bought a 95 TSi a week ago that had a ball joint recall, car had 230k miles on the odo. Took it in and had them replaced no questions asked.

Same with my 95 ESi which had a recall as well. Showed up, got taken care of, and even got free lunch!

Both of us went to the same dealer. So really it all depends on the dealer I guess. I would try a different one.

Recalls do not expire. That NHTSA list is simply only 10 years long. They only "expire" if the company goes out of business or the parts are no longer made. As old as these cars are, and as much as jerk-offs have been buying them only to gut, part out, and shred them lately most likely means the parts are no longer made, so the recall doesn't have to be honored.

Recent discussion prompts this edit. 10/1/2020.
NHTSA has an FAQ for safety recall obligation. Their example math says 10 years but the article states 15. I need to follow up out of curiosity but I suspect it's 10 years.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d.../14218-mvsdefectsandrecalls_041619-v2-tag.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the only dealership that has has the 10 year rule is CHRYSLER as they told me the same thing when I tried to get my t-case recall done. However, MITSUBISHI informed me that if it was a Mitsu car, they would have done it probably with a brand new t-case.

Also, the part issue is correct. Chrysler does not go through Mitsu for their parts anymore so therefor everything on the Eagle's, they have to go through an aftermarket source but if no part is available, oh well.

Mitsu still makes just about every part still including the t-case retailing at about $899 if I'm not mistaken.

I called and had them check my recalls. They nearly laughed at me. Obviously, it really matters who you speak to and which dealership. Its a flip of the coin

I had an opportunity to discuss recalls on my personal car. I bought a very low mileage 97 Talon that needed the transfer case yoke replaced. I expected to have it covered under recall. Not so anymore. Chrysler informed me the recalls expire after 10 years, yes even safety related recalls. I informed them about the mileage etc etc. They said it didn't matter. Well I wasn't about to accept that so I called the NHTSA. They told me the very same thing. So for all you guys still discussing various recalls you may be out of luck. I was told if a dealer performs a recall with the latest turbo DSM being 13 years old now it would be out of good faith and not legal obligation. Your results may vary but that was my experience.

Oddly, I just called chrysler about a week ago about the t-case recall which has never been done on my 2nd 91 AWD, they informed me to take it to my nearest chrysler dealer and it would be replaced under warranty no questions asked.

Yes that is true for eagle as i have had first hand experience with the tcase replacement recall. Just depends on the dealership. But you should walk in there with the recall printoff to show them it still exists, just kinda a push to get them moving on it

Wait so would I call the Mitsubishi dealership or the Chrysler dealership to check on the recalls done?

Yes, or go on Chrysler's website and type your vin in and it will tell you if any recalls are open.

Ok so I spoke to the Mitsubishi dealer and they said I had a ball joint recall... So Thursday I shall go in and see what else needs to be replaced on my car.

It depends on a lot. I had a 1990 that had the xcase recall done in 2001 and in 2010 was leaking again and they wouldn't honor it again. All my eagles though I call and they will tell me if it was done or not but won't honor it if it wasnt. Haven't tried the dealership yet though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back