The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

99 AWD Intermediate Shaft ID

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregus

Probationary Member
Feb 19, 2003
St. John's, Newfoundland_Canada
I have a 99 GSX that had some broken teeth on the intermediate shaft. I purchased a 2nd hand replacement from a 92+ AWD and swapped the gears over to that shaft. I tried to put the transmission together today and it's not going together properly at all. It's like the gears aren't meshing correctly.

On closer inspection i noticed that my original Intermediate Shaft has "sharper" teeth, as well as 3 grooves down the side instead of just one. Do 99 Transmissions have different gearsets? In CAPS I put in the VIN of my car and it says it has the same part number as the 92+ so i'm very lost and very frustrated at this point.

Here are some pictures of my shafts:

Original on right side
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Close up of original shaft teeth

Close up of replacement shaft teeth

Close up of both, original on right

Any and all help is appreciated!
Greg

I dont think that they are the same part number i will look into it.

Are you certain that it came from a 92+ ? It looks identical to a 1990 intermediate shaft.

The 1990 shaft will not work as a replacement because the 3/4 gears have a different pitch to them. You will need to find a 92+ shaft which will have the 3 detents on the 3rd gear.

Good luck!

The person I bought the shaft from told me it was a 92+.. I suppose he could have been mistaken though. Do all 92+ ones have the 3 detents in that gear?

According to CAPS, 9105.3+ intermediate shafts all have part number MD748830 (formerly MD738952).

Appreciate the help!

The person I bought the shaft from told me it was a 92+.. I suppose he could have been mistaken though. Do all 92+ ones have the 3 detents in that gear?

According to CAPS, 9105.3+ intermediate shafts all have part number MD748830 (formerly MD738952).

Appreciate the help!

Late 91 and up (92-99) all have the exact same intermediate shaft for AWDs, which have the three detents on the 3rd gear.

The shaft you have has been confirmed to be a 1990 AWD intermediate shaft checked against a 1990 shaft I have in my hands. My 1992, 1995, 1997 and 1999 interemediate shafts all look identical and have the same part number.

Thanks Tim, you've been a huge help. Guess I've got to find the proper shaft now... Anyone out there have one to spare? :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back