The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 ECU with 96 engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanusky1990

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Easton, Pennsylvania
alright guys. I have a spare 98 ecu and i wanted to take my 96 ecu out of my car and get V3. i need my car so i was wondering if i could run the 98 ecu while the 96 is out. and if i can what if anything would i have to change? i believe the firing order is different between the two but im not positive. any help would be great. thanks

I would check to see if your 98 ecu is flashable first.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...first-flashed-dsm-ecu-98-99-flashing-faq.html

If it is you may consider going that route. If not, since both the 98 and 96 ecu are non-eprom, I would leave the 96 ecu in the car and send the 98 to be converted to EPROM. That way you wouldn't have to change anything till you got your ecu back with V3 on it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/vendor-announcements/382293-ecmtuning-2g-non-eprom-conversions.html

Keep in mind though that that 98 ecu is flash able. It can do most of the same things dsmlink with EEPROM can do

Keep in mind though that that 98 ecu is flash able. It can do most of the same things dsmlink with EEPROM can do

Key word is most in this statement.

Just remember how much support there is for dsmlink compared to other tuning systems for dsms. I feel just having access to the link forums is worth the price of the system, so much amazing information over their.

If you feel like trying out the flashable ecu instead of going with dsmlink more power to you, just wanted to clairify it for you.

I am in no way connected to ecmlink other then being a customer.
Sent From My Sidekick 4g, Because I can.

The op said NOTHING about tuning. He does want v3 but has to take his 96 out and replace it with a 98 ecu and wanted to know what he has to change for his car to run proper. Read the question people!

Anyways, firing order is correct. I believe there is something else but I'm not a 100% sure. Just gotta search bud

Last edited by a moderator:
The op said NOTHING about tuning. He does want v3 but has to take his 96 out and replace it with a 98 ecu and wanted to know what he has to change for his car to run proper. Read the question people!

Anyways, firing order is correct. I believe there is something else but I'm not a 100% sure. Just gotta search bud

Sorry I didnt answer his question. Instead I tried to enlighten him so he could choose an easier path to his goal. To answer his question yes you will have to swap the plugs. You will also have to invert the CAS signal to the ecu.

Check out post #8 in this thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/360913-97-99-cas-95-96-a.html

thanks guys, yeah i already read a lot about the flashable 98 ecu but i'd rather go with link. thanks for the help. guess i have more searching to do LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back