The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 98 eclipse gst no spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1999to20

Probationary Member
Dec 19, 2011
murray, Kentucky
I just replace the motor in the car and was trying to start it today. The car just turns over but will not crank. I did the spark test and found out that its not getting any spark. I don't know what to do, I check all the plugs and make sure I have in the right place. I don't know if I could have a ground off or I need to replace the coil.

How exactly did you test the spark? Which method?

Did you test the resistance at the coil packs?

how do you do that?

I check all the wires and they are all pluged in the right spot. anyone have and idea how to fix this?

Ok I stuck a screw driver in the plug and hold to the ground and there was no spark. what would cause this to happen?

Are you getting a Check Engine Light when you turn the Key over? i had a problem kind of like yours and my ECU when out on me I was not getting power to my Fuel pump or and Sparks. but i could Turn it over just no fire. hope it helps :p

Are you getting fuel or no, the connector for the coils is the same as the a/c and crank sensor are they mixed up? If you have access to a scanner check to see if your throwing a crank sensor code or any other codes.

I did the ohms test on the coil and it shows good. I check all the the plugs and they are where they are sopuse to be. It's getting fuel and still doesn't crank, i guess i might have to go get a scanner and see what codes it throwing

IF the ohm test was good on the coil try to test the ignition power transistor. its right to the left of the coil pack and its probably the only thing left that would affect all the spark plugs. If not that u must have a cut or shorted wire somewhere, which in that case good luck :banghead:

I have a 98 eclipse and it has same problem. It will turn over but not start. It has no spark but everything is connected and tests fine. I have a mechanic friend and he says it sounds like the ECU needs replaced, maybe that's what's going on with yours too?

make sure your crank sensor is plugged in. had that problem before! no spark just turned over.

Had the same exact problem. It acted like it was about to start, but instead jus sat there turning over. Turned out to be the ECU. I couldn't find anywhere online that had rebuilt/refurbished ones, so I had to go to Mit$ubi$hi. $1050 without install. :( But the good news is I have a Factory fresh ECU. Car ran like a champ.

+1 for ignition module(transistor). Same thing happened to me twice. Last time I had no fuel or spark, and ended up being the crank sensor. The first time I did have fuel, just no spark. It was my ignition module.

hi guys, i have a 98 eclipse gs i have tried everything and still getting no spark. all sens are new and new ecu still no luck securarty maybe? if so how to resolve?

ok i cant be fuel im getting good fuel and where are the asd, mpi,mfi relays?

J3st3r I know you posted a long time ago about the no spark but has anyone Givin a response? I have a 1999 2g gs 2.0 non turbo 5 spd and I did a motor swap from a 98 2.0 non turbo automatic and have no spark. I have changed crank and cam sensors. My coil pack plugs and wires. I have ran all the test so all the sewers are good I also change the ecu and still have no spark. My friend said the motor swap was the problem because the crank on a automatic motor is different then the one on the manual. If any one can help please I have had this problem for over a week and it is driving me insane. Thank you

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back