The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

97 GSX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i just want to say. your effort and time put into your dsm... makes me ashamed of my build (which is my first aswell) :( i have to see this car in person... maybe if i beat you in a race ill feel better LOL... but your cosmetics are amazing... im doing this next time i have to pull my engine LOL i swear by it

Im in the same boat as him, your build just makes me want to pull my motor out and get bay nice and clean like yours, good job man

*drool*

If I win the lottery I will buy this off of you. :)

Why would you have such a nice build and use such a crappy intercooler setup? It looks like there is enough piping there for 2 intercooler setups.. I'm not knocking you or anything, and I'm sure it does the job but wouldn't you want something different, or shorter piping?

Im in the same boat as him, your build just makes me want to pull my motor out and get bay nice and clean like yours, good job man[/QUOTE

Thanks man, well next time you pull out the engine :hellyeah:

*drool*

If I win the lottery I will buy this off of you. :)
Haha :) thanks you and I would too :thumb:

Why would you have such a nice build and use such a crappy intercooler setup? It looks like there is enough piping there for 2 intercooler setups.. I'm not knocking you or anything, and I'm sure it does the job but wouldn't you want something different, or shorter piping?

Nothing crappy about an old school Apexi intercooler that's for sure. Lets me keep my fog lights and such. This is the intercooler setup I already had, I didn't feel the need to upgrade the nice STEEL pipes. Thanks for thinking my build is nice. Looking at the picture again I see why you think it looks like a lot of piping, but it's not to bad, the bottom pipe is shorter than you would think, maybe you could use paint shop or something to show me how you think the pipes should go?, i'm pretty interested now.. I am always open to a shorter route but not sure how it could be any shorter and fit properly.

Its come a long way since I started reading this build. Good work.

Hell yea what up man, hows the Alabama life. Go Yelowolf haha...

Last edited:
Here are some pictures as of yesterday, just waiting on my intake manifold brace from the machine shop. Other than that pretty much ready to start this thing up. My best guess of when I can start it is on saturday 2-18-2012, so lets hope that everything goes as planned to make this happen by then. I will probably tear down my plastic makeshift paint booth this weekend.
Happy friday to you all!
img_2077copy.jpg

img_2075copy_809258.jpg

Last edited:
wow this has come a long way congrats on the outcome so far. your hard work shows.

you are doing an excellent job, that eng bay is gonna look so clean when you have everything back together. i have a 97 gst spyder outside that im donating the 7bolt to a 96 gst i bought and selling the fwd shep trans i got then pretty much gutting it and going awd and a built motor and painting and cleaning everything throughout the car. good luck!

UPDATE:
So here is a quick video I literaly just took 10 minutes ago. It is of the machine shop working on the intake manifold brace in the CNC machine. After I get this part I can bolt on the intake manifold and then I will have nothing to stop me from starting the motor this weekend. I am already starting to get nervous about this weekend with breaking in the motor and all, but I have done so much research so I should be good to go. Just never had a zero mile motor before.

ManifoldBrace.AVI - YouTube

wow this has come a long way congrats on the outcome so far. your hard work shows.

Thank you

you are doing an excellent job, that eng bay is gonna look so clean when you have everything back together. i have a 97 gst spyder outside that im donating the 7bolt to a 96 gst i bought and selling the fwd shep trans i got then pretty much gutting it and going awd and a built motor and painting and cleaning everything throughout the car. good luck!
That's a lot of work, but having a plan is a huge step into getting it done. Good luck with the engine swaping.

Looks great man, can't wait until you start it up LOL.

Thanks Abe, I am a little nervous, but I should be good to go.

Last edited:
OK so I will be starting this thing up tomorrow, wish me luck.
Here are some pictue of the Intake manifold brace, and pictures with everything on the car and ready to go . Have a good weekend and hopefully this weekend I get my DSM back. :hellyeah: Enjoy..
img_2122copy.jpg

img_2123copy.jpg

img_2132copy.jpg

img_2136copy_172774.jpg

img_2139copy_26531.jpg

Last edited:
I have been following this build for a while now. Congrats man on the successfull build. Huge build will hopefully be done being built and going strong withing the next month or so.

Its a great feeling...

Well I tried to start the motor this last weekend, but no oil pressure. So I just left it alone untill I could talk to English Racing on monday (yesterday)..Also after talking with Lucas English on the phone I found out that the forward facing oil filter housing is not filtered oil. And I run my turbo from there, so basically I am putting my car onto a trailer and taking it to them to fix up. I will also have them break-in the motor on the dyno. After they break-in the motor then they will dyno it. They will be installing Speed Density, and my new MTL-X wideband. So basically I when they are done with it I will have my car back all perfect and running perfect on speed density!!! :cool: I can't wait to get my car back from them and drive it home :)

I will keep you guys updated as things go along. Looks like I will be taking the day off work on friday this week, to trailer the car to them. They are 3 hours away from me so only 6 hours of total driving that day. 6 hours of driving with a trailer, oh so much fun LOL...

Wow that's a bummer to hear Matt! Hopefully it gets done quick. Wave when you drive past!

Wow that's a bummer to hear Matt! Hopefully it gets done quick. Wave when you drive past!

Yea it's a bummer but in a way it's a good thing too. The original plan was for me to break in the motor and what not, and then after a few months take it to English for the SD tune/switch. But the way things worked out make it so they can just do everything in one trip up there. I will have my car back and it will be done and ready for me. They said they would have the car done in a week, so I am thinking I will have my car back to my house in the first two weeks of march... I am glad I don't have to do the break in, I would have pissed off so many drivers on the street, but I was going to do it LOL...

Man it sucks to hear that, I don't see how you can take not being able to drive it until they fix it.ROFL..good luck man

one question I forgot to ask, where did you get the evo III 1st and 5th gears at? I'm looking to getting me them for my gst if they will work on a fwd tranny:p

nice build man

Thank you

Man it sucks to hear that, I don't see how you can take not being able to drive it until they fix it.ROFL..good luck man

one question I forgot to ask, where did you get the evo III 1st and 5th gears at? I'm looking to getting me them for my gst if they will work on a fwd tranny:p

Yea but it is in the hands of English now so I don't mind the extra time now. I want to drive it now, but this is for the best.
The evo III 1st and 5th gears are an option when having the transmission built.

UPDATE!!
Here are some pictures from the trip on friday.
IMG_2144.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2146.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2147.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2148noplate.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2150.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2152.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2153.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2154.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thank you

Yea but it is in the hands of English now so I don't mind the extra time now. I want to drive it now, but this is for the best.
The evo III 1st and 5th gears are an option when having the transmission built.

UPDATE!!
Here are some pictures from the trip on friday.
MattASI

MattASI

MattASI

MattASI

MattASI

MattASI

How much did you pay for them gears? Do you know of any places close to NC that will do that?

How much did you pay for them gears? Do you know of any places close to NC that will do that?
(I don't know what they will cost you, because I had them added onto my transmission build for a little extra money) I have no idea who has a dsm shop in NC, But I do in Oregon. English racing or sheppard transmissions is who I would ask for that info)

Car came along a long way!

Great job bro. Hope you have it running real soon.

Thanks man, I can't wait. I hope to have the car back sometime next week, or earlier :pray:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back