The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 GSX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I installed the motor this weekend!!!

What valve cover do you like in the pics below. The black one or the raw aluminum silver one?

img_2029copy.jpg

img_2024copy.jpg
img_1944copy.jpg

My vote is on flat black with polished letters.
I did mine with a steel brush on a dremel, so it's not a high polish but a good luster, then paint the entire thing flat black, and use acetone on top of the letters.
It looks great that way.

I did mine with a steel brush on a dremel, so it's not a high polish but a good luster, then paint the entire thing flat black, and use acetone on top of the letters.
It looks great that way.

Thanks man, I hope I get some other votes on this, but I am literally 50/50 between both of the colors. I think your right though flat black with silver letters would look sick.

Should look good with my old wheels on there as well Matt!

Thanks man, at first I will be using my silver 18" that are on the first picture of this thread.
I am not sure what color I want to make those enkies that I got from you. I was thinking about having them powercoated flat black, but not sure yet. They look nice as is, but I like all one color with no polished lip. Hope your build is coming along man.

It looks great that way.

i currently have the raw aluminium color and love it, also have a spare that i was considering polishing to mirror. but black with poished letters are another option i was going to go with. i like the raw aluminium look, looks clean and new/fresh. flat black is good too.. but not for show purposes.

so curious.. what is this costing you in total cost of car and all the work done.. THUS FAR? so not your projected outcome.. but how much your in it at the moment.

DUDE your engine bay looks so clean, all your wires look so black and fresh! haha love it man!

My vote would be to have the aluminum with black letters. I love the way the silver looks, and I also love me some black accents.

My vote would be to have the aluminum with black letters. I love the way the silver looks, and I also love me some black accents.

Ok so I decided I will do silver with black letters for the reason above. I think that will look real good. Thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate the input.

Last night I installed the axles into the car, and the new knuckles with new bearings... I am designing a brace for my intake manifold for the machine shop here at work to make. The intake manifold has had to be welded twice because of the weight of the throttle body ect.. I am almost done with the design now. It will be made with 6061 aluminum and anodized black, im sure ill post of a pic of it when it's done.

DUDE your engine bay looks so clean, all your wires look so black and fresh! haha love it man!

Thanks man lots of rags and simple green to clean up the wires, two cans of electric cleaner, and then new loom on most of the wires.

i just want to say. your effort and time put into your dsm... makes me ashamed of my build (which is my first aswell) :( i have to see this car in person... maybe if i beat you in a race ill feel better LOL... but your cosmetics are amazing... im doing this next time i have to pull my engine LOL i swear by it

i just want to say. your effort and time put into your dsm... makes me ashamed of my build (which is my first aswell) :( i have to see this car in person... maybe if i beat you in a race ill feel better LOL... but your cosmetics are amazing... im doing this next time i have to pull my engine LOL i swear by it

Thank you man, it's nice for people like you that work on these cars and understand the amount of work involved in a project like this to say good things about the build. Don't be ashamed of your build man I checked it out and think your doing a great job on your car. Yea maybe this summer we can arrange a meet or something, that would be cool.

This car is going to be factory new when your done with it. Looking purrrrrrdy!

Yea nothing got skipped on this one. Thanks man, your build looks great.

Last edited:
Got the axles in and the rest of the suspension bolted in. I have a friend stopping by tonight after work to help bleed the breaks. The machine shop is making the brace for the intake manifold. When they are done I can bolt up the intake manifold to the motor.

Making progress :hellyeah:

Wow. That is probably the best word do describe this build. Excellent job with the car man! I can't wait to find myself the "right" car to make a nice build out of it. I can't wait to see updates on this beautiful car. :thumb::thumb:

Thanks guys, power wise it was 389hp on the dyno with a simple tune. So I guess it to be right around 400AWHP I don't need any more than that for now.

Last night I got the break and clutch lines flushed and blead. I had one guy that would make sure that the reservoir didn't run out of fluid, then one guy to pump the pedal, and then I did the actual bleeding at the calipers. Basically it went pretty smooth and fast.
The clutch felt pretty good, but I had to press the clutch pedal ALL the way down to the floor before it would fully release and let me switch around gears. So I think I just need to move the master cylinder rod in a bit?

Ok so last night I installed the radiator, intercooler pipes, routed some wires, torqued a bunch of the suspension bolts, reclocked the turbo to better fit the intercooler pipes, tightened down the new turbo oil supply line. A few other things... Here is the most updated picture as of last night. It is possible that I can start this thing up this weekend, but I need my intake manifold brace from the machine shop to finish. If I don't get the brace before the weekend then I will be starting up the motor next week!!! (The reason that I can't just add the brace on later is that the intake manifold will need to come off to install the brace onto the manifold because one bolt will go threw the manifold flange into the brace.)

img_2065copy.jpg

Intercooler bracket that the machine shop made for me. Believe it or not when I bought the car years ago the intercooler was just "hanging" by the pipes that connected to it LOL... (intercooler was soda blasted)
img_2068copy.jpg

Last edited:
Build has come along way, Hopefully you can start the car this weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back