The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

97 GSX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dang, now that's the way to build a car. Some day when i get a decent garage I'd like to do that. Just take your time and make everything perfect. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see it when it's all done. Don't suppose you'll ever sell that car after all this work now, right?

Dang, now that's the way to build a car. Some day when i get a decent garage I'd like to do that. Just take your time and make everything perfect. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see it when it's all done. Don't suppose you'll ever sell that car after all this work now, right?

Well I grew up with the saying, "if something is worth doing then it's worth doing right." I truly believe that.

I would love a garage. I think in about 5 years when the house market get better, and I can afford it, I will sell my house and buy one with a heated garage LOL. I think about it all the time haha.. Currently everytime I work on the car I have to carry all my tools out there to the carport with me, sucks. Last night was below 32 degrees, I had two hoodies on just to stay warm...

I don't plan to ever sell this car, MY DREAM CAR=97-99 GSX, I love DSM's, If I sold it I would just have to buy another one haha.

Thank you for the positive post.

Nice, so time for the first oil change then.

im at almost 500 miles and have already done 3 oil changes... soon as 500 hits im onto the 4th with 20W50 non synth

im really kicking myself for not spending extra time and cleaning up and painting all the engine bay stuff :(

my swap happend in 32 hours though.

What kind of oil are you going to use? I'm thinking of going with Brad Penn 20W-50 after the break in.

Yea 32 hrs isn't long to do all of that, I spent around 75 hrs just on the engine bay painting/prep work. :boring:

UPDATE....

I got the front subframe bushings installed with the help of a special tool that my friends made for me. It worked well, here is a quick video of it if you want to check it out.

MWAsPRODUCTIONS's Channel - YouTube

Also I did the clutch master cylinder rebuild. Very easy. I had one sitting around that looked brand new so I just rebuild that one and not the one I took off the car.

I am hoping to get some good time into the car this weekend, get some stuff done.

Have a good weekend tuners...:hellyeah:

What kind of oil are you going to use? I'm thinking of going with Brad Penn 20W-50 after the break in.

Yea 32 hrs isn't long to do all of that, I spent around 75 hrs just on the engine bay painting/prep work. :boring:

Valvoline VR1 20W50 non synth... switch to synth at 1000 miles.
havent found any places selling brad penn around where i live on shelf.

what kind of paint did you use on the engine bay and how did you color match it?

I went to a good paint shop called API, and bought the paint from them. They were really nice people and they paint for a living so I got some great tips from them. I got the same paint color code as the stock color. The color code is A52E, for my car.

Paint = 3.8 Mixed Color 3/4QT A52E Silver UTC-U38H4
Primer = SP210

The engine bay color came out really close to the rest of the car, but I don't care if they don't perfectly match because I will be repainting the rest of the car in a year or two with the same paint as the engine bay. But they are close.

Great build. I plan on putting a custom 4G63 in my 99 GSX. This will be my first project. I've worked hard to even find a 99 GSX. They're my dream cars too. Good luck on the rest.

So I have been working on the car every chance I get. For the first time yesterday I felt like I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, so da speak. I am happy with were I am in the project, and can't wait to finish up the motor install. Here is an updated picture of the engine bay. I am now woking on cleaning/sanding/painting the P/S lines, P/S pump, ect...
img_1814copy.jpg

I have got lots of work done over the holidays. I installed the PS lines and am ready to install the rebuilt steering rack with new moog tie rod ends.

I installed the resurfaced stock flywheel with ARP bolts, red loctite and lube under the head of the bolts, 100ft lbs. A New ACT 2600 6-puck clutch kit. I used a new stock TOB instead of the one ACT supplies in the kits. I have heard bad things about the ACT TOB, plus the stock one is one like $32. I also put in a new OEM clutch fork.
img_1848copy.jpg

Last night I lifted the transmission onto the block. Thank god a couple friends stopped by the house last night, so they helped me lift the transmission while I lined it up properly. There's nothing better than friends that can help out with the car stuff. :thumb:
img_1859copy.jpg

Thanks guys the nice comments really do help me to continue on with the neverending list of things to do. I do have some updates. Over the weekend I installed a bunch of stuff. Can't wait to have my car back haha..

On the left = ACT TOB and old clutch fork.
On the Right. OEM TOB and new clutch fork.
img_1853copy.jpg

Below is an Example of what I am doing to every part in the engine bay. (The before and after), to give you guys an idea of how much degressing/sanding/cleaning/wax remover/painting that I am doing. I am so sick of sanding haha...
img_1863copy.jpg
img_1917copy.jpg

Measuring things on the new steering rack vs the old steering rack.
img_1876copy.jpg

Windshield Cowl cleaned/installed. P/S lines and pump installed, ready to connect the lines to the steering rack after I bleed air out of the lines a little bit.
img_1891copy.jpg

Fluidamper pulley installed.
img_1904copy.jpg

Upper arms in place, lower compression arms in place, steering rack installed, and the sabilizer bar with new mounting rubber installed.
img_1906copy.jpg

Update: So here is a video of things before I installed the motor. I installed the motor, and then the next day when I was putting the boxes away for the clutch pressure plate ( I keep all my boxes), I saw that I was sent the wrong ACT pressure plate I got the ACT heavy duty pressure plate and not the extreme pressure plate I ordered. So guess what, last night I uninstalled the motor AGAIN to take out the pressure plate to send back to Extreme PSI to get the proper one that I ordered. (basically I ordered the ACT2600 6 puck sprung disk kit, but received the ACT2100 6 puck sprung disk kit.) It was way past 30 days for the return but after telling them my situation they made an exception.
So the motor is back out waiting for the new pressure plate. On the bright side I was able to remove the whole motor/trans from the car in under an hour LOL…I am getting fast with this car..

I had the alternator rebuild last week. Waiting on the my last JNZ tuning order to arrive. (new valve cover, starter bolts, FP cast intake with k and n filter, more bolts, exhaust studs, some other stuff)

MVI_1928.AVI - YouTube

Sweet build! Keep it up, why didnt you go with a wire tuck while you did so much cleaning? Too many wires? LOL

No kiddin huh, no not to many wires, I have actually been into electronics my whole life. Got my degree as an Electronic Tech, and got my current job because of the college work I did. Sorry that was probably way to much info haha...

Anyways, just so much already going on with the build that I want to get it all running sweet before changing any wiring etc..I did hide some wires but nothing serious.
Thanks for the interest and nice comments.

looks GREAT man. I just did what you did, and my motor is going in today as well. I however tucked and relocated all my wires. All you see in mine is shifter cables and the top of my fuse box LOL.

Anyway man, nice and clean. I saw first pic and was like, hella dirty bay HAHA

looks GREAT man. I just did what you did, and my motor is going in today as well. I however tucked and relocated all my wires. All you see in mine is shifter cables and the top of my fuse box LOL.

Anyway man, nice and clean. I saw first pic and was like, hella dirty bay HAHA

Thanks man, Yea the motor bay was oil soaked, the guy I bought the car from said they blew up the old original 7 bolt motor, he said a rod went through the hood spraying oil Everywere. I don't know but the paint was literaly stained and up close looked real real bad.

Is there anyway you could send me a pic of your motor bay? If not no problem just curious how it looks and what not. [email protected]

Pressure plate will be here on friday, so I hope to install the motor this weekend if I actually get the pressure plate on friday that is... Till then I am moving onto other things, i'm going to clean up the headlights, I am going to use one of the Headlight Restore Kits from 3M. Should make them look almost new.
So things have slowed down a bit on the build, just waiting on parts then I will start bolting everything down. My birthday is in march, so my plan is to have my car back, running and driving by march or earlier. Definately a reachable goal, with how much work is already done.

hey bud I just made a worklog also. Its not complete yet, but you can see Im doing the same as you with tucking and relocation

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back