The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

97 GSX AutoX/DD sleeper

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielsl1999gsx

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2009
los angles, California
Project 2g Sleeper

I never made a part 1 but now with the build threads open I'd thought I'd make a Part 2. I hate to saying it, but after being out for 6 month or so I am back. I swore to myself I would never come back to a DSM but here I am. I came into the game not knowing much and jumped right in. It started about 3 years ago when I bought a 1999 Eclipse GSX black on black with a 7 bolt, 272cams, FMIC, S16g, Walbro 190, fart cannon, and couple of gauges. It's was named BlackDahlia
camerapics040.jpg

camerapics038.jpg

camerapics041.jpg

^This is how I bought her; she needed engine work (over boost issue), paint, and a good cleaning. But I didn't care because this was my first car and I wanted it BAD! I didn't even know how to drive a stick for crying out loud. I just wanted to drive one of my dream cars.

Fast forward a couple of months and the mod bug hit me.. First thing on my list was painting the bad sun fad all over the rear and new rims. I was not sure what kind they were but I had them laying around the house and I liked them.
0615091432.jpg

My next chore was cleaning up the engine bay and since I was there I though I would try to fix the over boost issue with a new Evo 3 16g.
camerapics048.jpg

6.jpg

I also thought this would be a good time to throw in some injectors (650cc)
7.jpg

I drove the car like this for about 2 years, still with a boost creep issue. Knowing this I never really got to WOT the car. I just drove around showing off my BOV thinking I was a cool kid. But I was not satisfied with just sound, so i started looking on the forum everyday and seeing how much power people are making didn't help...I then started saving up to get my car running in popper order. (Note totally forgetting maintenance and straight for power!)
15.jpg

So during spring break I was able to install all of the goodies on the car.
11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

And this is how it ended up looking
13.jpg

16.jpg

14.jpg

Now here comes the sad part of the story where things go bad and also the reason this build thread is called "part 2". In my initial tear down of the car, I found a bunch of oil in my intercooler piping, intake, and throttle body. I didn't know much about cars so I continue on thinking it was nothing major, just a bad PVC system or something. So when round two of the tear down came, I removed the manifold for the new FP manifold. One thing I notice right away is that cylinder # 3 seemed wet. I compared it to the rest and it was the only one that was wet. But being the noob that I am, i continued on with the FP manifold install so I could drive this dam thing! After everything was finished I rushed to turn it on. Everything seem fine and dandy, until 5 minutes of driving it... SMOKE, SMOKE and more SMOKE. I had no idea what was going on, I installed everything correctly and properly. So after weeks of thinking it was dead turbos, buying and switching. I towed it to RRE to have them take a look. Within 5 minutes of them looking at it they told me what I had been avoiding for about 4 months of swapping turbos and test runs. Cylinder # 3 was done and pushing oil into the turbo and burning it. They gave me the option of rebuilding the motor but due to some unfortunate circumstances I had to cut my losses and move on.
8.jpg

I ended up selling it to someone who really had the funds to keep up with it and did what I was too scared to do. He is going to swap a 6-bolt and rebuild it from the ground up. I am happy it went to a good home, and hope it is in better then it ever was by now.
So now the search for a new car. I vowed to myself about never coming back to a DSM because of so many things going wrong with my first eclipse. I looked at everything: S2000, WRX, civics, RSX etc... I came so close on buying an s2000 (salvage), 02 WRX, and a civic. But something would always end up going wrong in the end. I took out the money 3 times to buy the car but never came home with one. I had given up on everything, but then I saw an ad for a 1997 GSX and I was sold.

It had everything I had planned to do to my 99 GSX and more. It was a no brainer! So with a long drive to SD, I bought my new DSM. Now Project 2g sleeper is back in order. My plans for the car are to make it a reliable auto X track car and sleeper and with all these California law I think this is the smartest way to go about this. I will not be going for massive power just a fun DD I can take to a course. First thing on my agenda will be to remove the HKS exhaust for something more quiet and stock looking. After that is done, next will be some StopTech big brakes with Koni Yellows/GC. Along with a full black interior swap, EVO 9 seat, Evo Steering wheel. So without further to do here it is....
2.jpg

1.jpg

photo35.jpg

3.jpg

377000_215470988522127_100001776838327_528900_866868382_n.jpg

It has a Complete 6 bolt swap by RRE, EVO 3 Big 16g with RRE install kit, DSMlink 2.5, Apexi Dp, HKS Hipower, Energy bushing kit, KYB AGX/Eibach pro kit, PR FMIC, 1g BOV, Injen Intake, and tuned at 20psi.
I got really lucky and blessed with this car and i plan on babying this more then ever. Everything going to be done right this time and no more short cuts. I learned my lesson the hard way. Also gona be a regular at RRE, thanks to Gofer as well for the heads up on this.

Last edited:
Poor 99 it could have been just the valve seals.
While you're getting the new motor make it a 2.3. It doesn't really cost anything different. Just a different crank and pistons. But either way both cars looked clean :D I would have loved a gsx as a first car.

it could have been valve seals, but i trust RRE and i dont think they were trying to jip me. As for the motor im loving it the way it sit right now and for the first time i am able to WOT my car and feel the power of a 4g63 =)

It already has a 6bolt in it, but maybe when it gives out or i have the fund to build another motor on the side.

Update: 2 (maintenance & rims)

Well with me now in college in the mountains, i had to make the necessary changes for the car to handle the 480 mile trip from from LA to Angwin hills. So the first on my list was to get some proper oil & oil filter in this car. Along with flushing the radiator out and filling her up with some new coolant & Fuel injector cleaner.
download.jpg

Then sadly with all the potholes and ugly road in the hills, i had to get rid of my lovely 18" ( also For Sale )
download-3.jpg

But thankfully i was able to pick up a good deal on some EVO 9 BBS which i believe are more street friendly
download-5.jpg

The wheel change gave me back about an inch of ride height, but i can live with it because it looks like it used too. I know ill miss how low it used to be, but for now where it stand i think is best.
download-1.jpg

Next thing to do it change all my drivetrain oils and replace the cv boots. Anything else you guys would recommended before i start my trip?

sounds like you basically got it covered for maintenance, maybe grease your front end and that should he it. I was like you after my first DSM; 92 Talon ESI auto, gave me nothing but problems. She was soooo clean though haven't seen another one around here that clean, but I was like never again!!!.......1 year later here I am again with another 1G but this time a 92 eclipse (prefer the talon look though).

Keep us posted man, good luck and drive safe!

Thanks guys, i am really liking the wheels on the car they fit perfect and look great. I just found out my R CV boot just ripped and grease is everywhere. Think about replacing it or just getting a whole new axle? I got a update coming up soon, so stay tuned!

Wow so clean. I would give both my pinky fingers for that.

Update: 3 ( Suspension & maintenance)

Alright, its been a while since i have updated this thread and i think it is about time i do so. I wanted to get a really big update going, but with nursing school and everything its been hard. So here goes nothing..
I got down and dirty and made sure that all my oils were changed since i would be driving this car a lot.
15-1.jpg

Such a pretty color when its new and not dirty
16-1.jpg

Again i cant repeat how much i hate getting pulled over for "Modification" so i tried to make everything look OEM under the hood. Nothing a little Plasti Dip cant fix.
H.jpg

Since i was already under the hood i went ahead and replaced my noisy o2 PR dump with a new recirculated housing. I must say though, i do miss the old WOOMMMPP when boost kicked in.
1-1.jpg

With the recirculated housing now in place, i felt as if i was getting a bit of boost creep. So i had to put back my boost gauge to make sure that everything was in check. Its a great mounting place for a gauge.
32.jpg

These were the last "mods" i did before the meet that eclipsegsx1736 (AKA BBRTuning Beau) invited me to. Sadly, he did not show up. I never got to meet the legend but i did get a short clip of the cars there before my GoPro die on me.
Screenshot2012-01-26at122327AM.png

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4YUTCJwDtU[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7qywlMGMM&feature=related[/ame] My car at 6:15

It was a great turn out all in all, bunch of GTR, Z's, Evos, BMWs, G35s and only two DSM...such a let down LOL. We ran the canyons all lined up, and i met Mel Gibson at a light!! He was in a stupid smart car, and ask me " What are all these cars doing here?" i told him it was a meet and he rolled his eye at me. I wish my Gopro was on my passenger side so i could have up loaded our conversation. Jay Leno also passed us by in his Mclaren P11 which was a plus. Anyways this canyon run taught me one thing, MY STURT WERE BLOWN TO HELL. Every crack, bump, pothole felt like my tire was about to come through my strut tower. I needed new suspension ASAP.
While searching for the best setup, i came across some Koni/GC setup that i was really considering buying. But at the price being sold at, i felt like i should spend that money on some nice coilovers. So this summer i am getting JIC Magic coilover or KW's. In the mean time i picked up some Tokico illumina shocks for pretty cheap and i was happy with the buy.

ah.jpg

and compared to stock
aa.jpg

The only install pic i got to take
aj-1.jpg

ad-1.jpg

I did a quick oil change since the car is up, and made sure that only the best goes in. BRAD Penn FTW
ae.jpg

After the springs were installed, i was looking at my car and wanted a different look with the ride drop. I had 3 cans of Plasti Dip left and got painting haha...
ac.jpg

I ended up liking how the first one came out and decided to paint the rest. This stuff does wonders and is easy to apply. And whats the best part, if i ever get tried of the look i can just peel it off.
ag.jpg

af.jpg

And that is the end of my spring break "mod/maintenance" to do list that i got done. Now for the 457 mile trip back to school, i hate this drive so much. But it is very scenic trip and took some picture on the way up. (Rims were not painted yet)
IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_20120215_194521.jpg

I did end up over heating around mile 390 because i had to climb over a mountain practically. This was the second time it happen, and i was tried of it. I had to get more flow to the radiator somehow. So with some researched around the forums, i looked for the best way to bring down temps. I came with two solutions: ONE, cutting into the hood and buy/install a vent or TWO, cut into the bumper so the radiator can have a direct flow of air, and not air thats been through the intercooler first. I really did not want to buy and paint the vent to match my car, so i really had no other choice but to cut into my bumper. I was so scared of screwing up and ruining my bumper but i picked up my grinder and went for it... Most nerve racking 30 mins of my life i have ever lived. Over all, i am happy with the way it turned out and for not having a fine blade they came out similar to each other. So here is how the car sits as of 5-4-12

ak-1.jpg

ab-1.jpg

Last edited:
Uhmm they are on 235-45-17s, and sadly they did rub. They didnt rub on the knuckles but rather the fender lip. I had to get them rolled only on the rear for them to stop rubbing. They fronts clear with no problem and i think i would have been rubbing in the back if my suspension wasn't out of whack.

Update : 4 (Exhaust Ticket)

Well it finally happened... I got pulled over and got a ticket for "loud" exhaust and tint while coming up to school. This is probably the 4th time i have been pulled over for my exhaust, and i told myself as soon as i get a ticket it is coming off. As of 8 am this morning the HKS Highpower began its disassembly. Lol this was in my school parking lot

download-6.jpg

And here how she sits as of now...

download-7.jpg

This thing is soo quiet now, even with my MR DP. I swear my moms odyssey makes more noise than my GSX. Anywho, this will have to do till i can get a stealthy exhaust and get some custom 3" piping made for it.

Last edited:
Yeah 235/45 are like the best tire size IMO, could go one or two smaller sizes. But i like having meat on my rims so there is some cushion just in case i run into a pothole.

Last edited:
Yeah 235/45 are like the best tire size IMO, could go one or two smaller sizes. But i like having meat on my rims so there is some cushion just in i run into a pothole.
true that. the roads in jersey are crap.

Cant wait to see what you do to your exhaust. I want to also keep that twin tip sleeper look but have a deeper tone. Good work so far! Ill post my restoration up soon.

Clean car bro. That canyon run looked like a lot of fun. Can't wait to get my 2G done so I can go up the Angeles Crest.

Love the car, but is there anyway you can show some more pics of your cuts into the bumper?

I hope you use some jackstands when you lift your car up. Other then that, nice build and hopefully you get things done with your work load.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back