The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

95 talon esi build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Madsen

Probationary Member
Jul 11, 2019
Meridian, Idaho
I've decided to rebuild my 1995 esi talon for drag racing and have a lot of questions but to start the biggest question I have is if the engine block will hold up. Being and esi it doesn't have a turbo stock and I'm not sure of the differences between the turbo and the non-turbo version. I won't get in to all the questions I have about transmission right now but if anyone has suggestions for that I will take it. It currently has a 5 speed manual with 230k miles and definitely needs replaced. If anyone has any info on this and how difficult this is I'd appreciate the help.

Your best options would be a Neon SRT-4 engine swapped in or an Evo 8 engine swapped in, both require some work and dedication not to mention skills, the Neon would require the least work but would still take some work, I have seen them both done locally, the SRT-4 was pulled and is now getting an Evo 8 installed, so Im watching that as it happens.

How fast are you wanting to go?
I'd like to hit 10 seconds in a 1/4 mile if possible. I dont know much about the 420a engine that's in it so I'm just researching to find out if that's possible with this engine and is so how much it's going to cost me.

I'd like to hit 10 seconds in a 1/4 mile if possible. I dont know much about the 420a engine that's in it so I'm just researching to find out if that's possible with this engine and is so how much it's going to cost me.

It's possible and has been done many times before. It will not be cheap to get the car that fast. You will have to turbo the car, this can be done on the stock block and will get you about 200 hp. The stock motor will blow if you go much above 200whp. That will not get you to 10s in the 1/4. So now you will need to build the motor up some. Plan on an aftermarket ECU, most of us use megasquirt. Throw on some slicks and with a lot of practice you may be able to get there. Plan on 8 to 10k ballpark

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back