The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

91 FWD Laser - Black Widow

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Either the M/T ET drag 24.5 x 8 or the M&H 24.5 x 8.5.

I finally fired the car up today! Got the base map in the ECU, primed the fluids and fuel, turned it over and it fired up on the second rotation! I was very happy to see the car fire up right away. The car idled well for a first start up. Only issues I noticed was a small fuel leak (need a new fitting) and a small pinhole coolant leak (just gotta swap the hose). Otherwise, it idled good, but just a little high in the rpm. I'll probably adjust the fuel a bit in the ECU and see if that pulls it down once I get the issues taken care of! Hoping to be driving around in a week or so.

Whats up Brandon? Just joined this site since we are looking into a DSM to build. Lots of good stuff here. Im pumped you got the car running! I would have never got it as far as you did. Good luck with dialing her in and cant wait to pick a ride up so we can build a beast SGP style!

For sure Daniel! We'll get you started asap. I'll keep an eye out for you until you get back in town!

Well, thought it might be time to post an update considering how things are going. I got everything together on the ride. 400lph walbro pump installed, got some miles on the motor and got pneumo (Dave W.) to come up last weekend. I've been having some issues with the idle, and after Dave looked at it, we both feel the stock regulator can't handle the flow of the 400lph pump at low airflow. That said, an AFPR is on order and should be here tomorrow or Thursday to hopefully help out. Otherwise, Dave tuned the car for me this past Saturday. No traction in 1st or 2nd and nothing but crazy torque steer in 3rd gear. We are running the car on 20psi peak...it's hold right around 19-20psi to 6500 rpm. I'm hoping to get a chance to rev it on out to 7k or 7200 rpm to see how much the load and flow falls off up that high. Dave taught me a lot. Can't say thanks enough for the help and information!

My car fund is running a little low right now since I had to get a new windshield (was cracked all the way across when I bought it) and order the AFPR. I'm hoping I can find some slicks soon to get it to the track. The only other things I'll be looking for other than slicks is suspension and eventually I'll get the sensor to convert to SD...and then probably go with E85!!!

More updates...

First thing, I welded a dump onto the exhaust. It was blowing a slight bit on the bottom of the gas tank. Wasn't too fond of this, so I went ahead and put a dump on it.

I went out driving after installing the AFPR and the car was running a little lean. But man was the car making some power. Now it's breaking the tires loose in 3rd gear from a roll as well! That sure makes it tough to tune!

The other big things are all in the department of weight savings. I drilled the factory strut brace out that connects to the floor. I also removed all the sound deadening from the floor. Those combined were 48lb...10lb for the brace and 38lb for the sound deadening. I also removed the hood brace on the stock hood. That was another 10lb. So I've removed almost 60lb more from the car. I'm hoping to borrow some scales from a friend to get the total weight and weight distribution. I also ordered some adjustable springs. Should help get the car a little lower and allow me to raise the backend and keep more weight up front at the drag strip!

I just got my wideband wired in tonight for logging! It was actually very simple to do once I found out the exact process.

I finally ordered the sensors for SD. 4 bar map sensor and IAT form ecmtuning.

I am hopefully picking up some slicks locally. Found a great deal on them and should have the cash. Then just time to wait on the weather to clear up!!!

Got a few more updates.

Picked up the slicks. Very nice tires with a LOT of life left.

2012-03-17_15-52-48_534.jpg

Here is a picture of the wheels/tires on the car. Don't hate on the hood prop! :)

2012-03-17_21-38-33_111.jpg

I also got some digital scales from a friend to get the true weight. In race trim on Mar 18, the car weighed in at 2169 lb. On the 22nd, I removed another 24.6 lb of wiring, brackets, etc from the interior. So the car now is down to approx. 2145 lb without me. I still have quite a bit left to remove to shave a bit more weight as well!!! Here are a couple quick pics of the updated interior!

2012-03-22_20-25-11_176.jpg

2012-03-22_20-24-32_15.jpg

I'm going down to get dyno tuned this Sunday, and if the weather permits, I'll be hitting the track next weekend! We'll see how the car turns out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a few more updates.

Picked up the slicks. Very nice tires with a LOT of life left.

2012-03-17_15-52-48_534.jpg

Here is a picture of the wheels/tires on the car. Don't hate on the hood prop! :)

2012-03-17_21-38-33_111.jpg

I also got some digital scales from a friend to get the true weight. In race trim on Mar 18, the car weighed in at 2169 lb. On the 22nd, I removed another 24.6 lb of wiring, brackets, etc from the interior. So the car now is down to approx. 2145 lb without me. I still have quite a bit left to remove to shave a bit more weight as well!!! Here are a couple quick pics of the updated interior!

2012-03-22_20-25-11_176.jpg

2012-03-22_20-24-32_15.jpg

I'm going down to get dyno tuned this Sunday, and if the weather permits, I'll be hitting the track next weekend! We'll see how the car turns out!

I have been wanting to make some dash panels like that to put my gauges in for my car, nice work. :thumb:
And thumbs up for the color of your car. :thumb:

Thanks for the kind remarks. Unfortunately, the build is being cancelled and parted out due to some family financial issues I have to help with. The big parts are pretty much gone. I'm considering keeping the shell for when I can afford to start building the car back up, but not 100% sure yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
body is now for sale for $200 OBO......yes I said $200 OBO..there are a few peices missing...one fender also missing...and it has rust on the bottom..must pick up before END OF MAY 2012.you will need a trailer to put the body on..the tires have been removed, they were new and were used on another car.....this car body has a lot of life left in it still for the mechanically inclined!!!!!!!..this is not a joke or a scam......the hubby is talking about scrapping it and i would rather give it away than see it scrapped so someone please call me and ask for julia and take this car body!!! it is the body only...the exhaust is missing,,a fender and some other things but the main frame and doors are there...i can try and send pictures if needed......this was my son's first dsm car and i dont want to see it scrapped!!!!!

hope ya;ll dont mind me jumping in and putting the ad here....its just my son loved this car and the tthought of the body going for scrap makes me sick....my son is serving overseas and the motor was swapped with another laser we bought him :)

^^^pretty sure you posted in the wrong thread...this build thread is mine and I'm in California...and my wife knows NOTHING about DSMs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back