The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 90 shift linkage vs 91-94 shift linkage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter base cable mounting.
Roughly 5cm difference between cable attachement points.

Attachments

• shifterbase1990.jpg
    shifterbase1990.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,271

Shifter cable mounting on trans.
Roughly 4cm difference between cable attachement points.

Attachments

• shiftercablebracket1990.jpg
    shiftercablebracket1990.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3,771

Shifter cable mounting on trans. Side shot.

Attachments

• shiftercablebracket1990b.jpg
    shiftercablebracket1990b.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 3,352

Roughly 2cm difference between cable attachement points.

Attachments

• shiftercablebracket1991.jpg
    shiftercablebracket1991.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 3,289

Shifter cable mounting on trans. Side shot.

Attachments

• shiftercablebracket1991b.jpg
    shiftercablebracket1991b.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,755
Does all this apply to AWD only? i got a 94 that im in the process of doing a auto n/t to man. turbo swap and i got my shifter and cables from the 91 awd i got my motor from but i got my trans from a 90

:thumb: :talon: psssst.....got boost?

Originally posted by Project ES
Does all this apply to AWD only? i got a 94 that im in the process of doing a auto n/t to man. turbo swap and i got my shifter and cables from the 91 awd i got my motor from but i got my trans from a 90

:thumb: :talon: psssst.....got boost?

This applies to FWD and AWD. Common shift linkage.

Slightly better pic for the second to last one I posted.

Roughly 2cm difference between cable attachement points.

Attachments

• shiftercablebracket1991.jpg
    shiftercablebracket1991.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,748
Originally posted by NOSLO2PT0
Simply put:

90 tranny in a 91-94: All you have to do is swap the lever that is bolted on the tranny and the bracket that holds the cables on the tranny. Built in short shifting tranny.

When your refering to the lever thats bolted to the tranny your talking about the vertical one that doesnt have the roll pin right?
Have you succesfully put a 90 into a 91+ if so I may ask for more help if I run into problems, but if all I have to do is switch one bolted on lever and a couple of brackets it should be cake...

Richard
91 GS-t <-- getting a 90 tranny
Az (623)

nevermind I found that the vertical levers are the same on the two 90-91-94, so I guess its time to knock out that lever held in by a roll pin, whats the easiest way to remove it ? I've been banging away at it but it hasnt budged.

Originally posted by gravityforce
nevermind I found that the vertical levers are the same on the two 90-91-94, so I guess its time to knock out that lever held in by a roll pin, whats the easiest way to remove it ? I've been banging away at it but it hasnt budged.

Good question. Knowing this would have made my inverse swap, 91 into a 90, alot simpler.

Given all measurements I made, it would appear you don't need to change that lever. Only the cable mouting bracket on the trans. This will position the cable to correctly adapt to the throw of the 90 lever. As NOSLO2PT0 stated, it'll make your car have a shorter throw.

I'm going to go ahead and install the 90 tranny into the 91 DSM today,
only thing I'm switching is the brackets that support the linkage, hope it works.
I'll keep everybody posted . :thumb:

got the 90 tranny in the 91 seems to go into gear alright, I only drove it a few minutes and reverse worked 1st -2nd shift good 2nd - 3rd shift good 3-4 shift had a small grind and I didnt get it uo to 5th yet. One issue ... the clutch is slipping bad and I'm not sure why, its only got 4k on it and I dont recall burning the clutch up. I will end up returning it under warranty just to see if that helps the slipping.
The 6 bolt flywheel should be the same 90 -91 -91- 94 right?

I need some advise.

Richard

Ok , drove it again this morning and found out that 4th gear doesnt want to go, real bad grind. It shifts into any other gear w/no problem, so I wonder if its just the used junk yard tranny.

Oh yeah the clutch does still slip.

Originally posted by gravityforce
Ok , drove it again this morning and found out that 4th gear doesnt want to go, real bad grind. It shifts into any other gear w/no problem, so I wonder if its just the used junk yard tranny.

Oh yeah the clutch does still slip.

Run through the procedure for the cable adjustment and see if it still grinds.

Put the tranny in each of the gears and take a look at the linkage on the tranny. Does it look as though the cables are at extreme angles causing binding? If this checks out and after adjustment it still grinds, I'd suspect it's the tranny. Although it's odd that fourth grinds.

For the clutch, run through the procedure for clutch adjustment. It sounds like you may have it biased too much and the clutch pedal/hydraulics is actually applying pressure to the clutch, causing it to partially disengage.

the linkage doesnt look like it binding,

I did however notice that the car trys to roll when I TRY to put it gear without pressing the clutch pedal in ????????????
I also adjusted the clutch pedal to see if that would solve the problem but no luck.

The best I could describe it, when trying to take off its like I'm trying to take off in second..takes a minute to get to speed. Once rolling at a decent speed tranny acts ok except for 4th wont go.

What a pain, help........

thanks ,
Richard

im having the Same problem, I just got done putting in a 90 tranny, in my 1992. heres my problem. I can get in 1,2,3, 4th is no go, 5th is hard, R is damn near impossible. here is what i found out just a few mins ago. It seems that The lever that moves side to side isnt keeping Tension on the up and down LEver on the tranny, Causing it to move up to high and not being able to get into 4th, and so forth. I can get into 4th if I shift real fast from 3rd. What do you think needs to be Adjusted?????

Originally posted by PogiTSI
im having the Same problem, I just got done putting in a 90 tranny, in my 1992. heres my problem. I can get in 1,2,3, 4th is no go, 5th is hard, R is damn near impossible. here is what i found out just a few mins ago. It seems that The lever that moves side to side isnt keeping Tension on the up and down LEver on the tranny, Causing it to move up to high and not being able to get into 4th, and so forth. I can get into 4th if I shift real fast from 3rd. What do you think needs to be Adjusted?????

What do you have for the cable bracket on the tranny? How about the shifter in the car?

Per my post and as NOSLO2PT0 stated first, you should only have to change the bracket that holds the cables on the tranny. It'll make your car have a shorter throw. Becareful when you adjust the linkage that you don't have the shifter biased to one side. Remember it won't hit the stops now.

K, So When I adjust the Cables. When I go for First I shouldnt hit the Stops? and the same for 5th and R?

Originally posted by PogiTSI
K, So When I adjust the Cables. When I go for First I shouldnt hit the Stops? and the same for 5th and R?

True. It will no longer touch the front or rear stop. Make sure it is centered. The lever on the 91-94 shifter is longer so it will make the cable travel the full distance sooner. Which means the throws at the shifter will be shorter. You should already notice that.

I sort of have the same issue going on EXCEPT that the previous owner of my car (90 Eclipse GSX) only swapped out the shifter, shifter cables and brackets for those from a 91. As I understand it you also need the tranny out of a 91, correct?

To get to the point my car shifts like crap. Sometimes it goes into gear and sometimes it doesn't. Also has a real notchy feeling.

Do I need to adjust it or do I just find 90 shifter, shifter cables and brackets?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by top_end95
I sort of have the same issue going on EXCEPT that the previous owner of my car (90 Eclipse GSX) only swapped out the shifter, shifter cables and brackets for those from a 91. As I understand it you also need the tranny out of a 91, correct?

To get to the point my car shifts like crap. Sometimes it goes into gear and sometimes it doesn't. Also has a real notchy feeling.

Do I need to adjust it or do I just find 90 shifter, shifter cables and brackets?

Thanks in advance.

Changing out the cable bracket on the trans should fix that, along with adjusting the cables. PogiTSI has similiar issues and is trying this same fix.

I just went from auto to manual and pulled everything from my parts car, and put it on mine. However before i even considered the swap I sold the shifter cables to someone else and had to buy a set from someone after the fact. My car is a 90 2.0 NT, and the new shifter assembly and shift cables came off a 90 awd, would that matter? awd cables and shifter assembly in a 90 2.0 FWD NT? Either thats my problem or I got bad syncro's in 1/2/3 2nd being the worst.

EDIT: The Tranny is a 90 also

Originally posted by Morphius
Changing out the cable bracket on the trans should fix that, along with adjusting the cables. PogiTSI has similiar issues and is trying this same fix.

So by replacing the 91 cable brackets to the original 90 brackets and adjusting the cables, everything should be ok?

Could you keep me posted with PogiTSI's progress? If its not to much of a hassle.

Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back