1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

90 shift linkage vs 91-94 shift linkage

Posted by Morphius, Dec 26, 2003

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. PogiTSI

PogiTSI Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2003
    WPB, Florida
    heres the update, I have no R. I cant even get it into gear at the Transmission With my hands! so the tranny is fooked. Also, I didnt switch out the bracket that holds the Cables. I switched only the 90 lever for the 92 lever ( the only one you can take off ) its Still VERY notchy. BUT im going to try and Switch the Bracket that holds the Cables, It wouldnt hurt.

2. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Is there any difference in the shifter cables from AWD and FWD? When I completed my auto to manual swap a few months back I bought a shifter and cables off ebay and am trying to rule all out every possibility before I go in for a rebuild, (Notchy as hell going into 2nd and 3rd, and occasional notch from 5th to 4th) I wonder because Diamondstarmotorsports sells awd and fwd cables/ I know I got a 1990 set but am unsure if awd and fwd are different somehow

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.292 @ 126.120 · 1G DSM
  3. NOSLO2PT0

NOSLO2PT0 Proven Member

Joined Aug 31, 2002
    Joliet, Illinois
    Mitsubishi CAPS program shows that FWD and AWD shift cables ARE different. I don't know what they are, but they are different. This is news to me as it may explain a LOT of problems my buddies are having.

Mike

4. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Crap, wonder what the differences are :confused:

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  5. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan
    That's interesting. I just swapped a 91 tranny, shifter and cables in my 90 GSX. The cables are from a FWD car and it works great.

6. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Ok then my tranny is screwed

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  7. spoolingsx92

spoolingsx92 Proven Member

Joined May 3, 2004
    massilon, Ohio
    wow ive been looking for this thread from the day i bought my car LOL i got it with a bad trany i have a 92 5spd awd talon put a 1990 awd talon trany in it a week or so after i got it and i tryed all the gears and when i put it in rev it went fowrd i was triping thinking i had a junk trany and was out alot well my girl got up and walked to the back of my car and said is it in rev i said yea she said your rev lights are not on so i was kinda happy but felt dumb for thinking 4th was revs but any way i adjusted my side to side till i couldnt tightin it any more twoards me sitng in the drivers side and i pushed it in revs and wow it was there but it is still hard to get it over but for now it works i also had 5th after that to this is just a short storry of 2 days of being pissed that i didnt have rev and calling every trany shop in town to see what they said ha they said my trany was crap and wanted to charge me 1500 or to rebuild it o and theres 2 nuts on both side of the big one to hold it there i am going to take the one of closest to the drivers side so i can tighting it more so it should work great after that sorry i dont know names for all this stuff but maybe it will help :thumb:

also not to thread jack but whats the best gear oil to put in not caring about price

8. top_end95

top_end95 Proven Member

Joined Jan 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Ok, how in the hell do you remove the damn shifter cables from the shifter base? I know you have to remove the brackets that are holding them down, but how the hell do you remove them? Ive been trying for like an hour now. :mad:

9. csprakyfly

csprakyfly Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2002
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I just used a big flathead screwdriver and used the shifter base for leverage and they came right off

10. philipkrotch

philipkrotch Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2004
    butler, Pennsylvania

get pennzoil synchro mesh...5 bucks a quart at Auto Zone

11. Boosted19

Boosted19 Awaiting Email Verification

Joined Dec 4, 2003
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    Can someone show me a picture of what lever to switch? I have a 93 tsi with a 90 jdm gvr4 AWD/FWD trans... i have no idea what ones to switch. i understand the bracket for the cables but not the other.. and how to take it out? if you know you can alos instang message me @ Labukas19 or email me at Labukas19@aol.com any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! thanks
    -tony-
    t.l
    :thumb:

258  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 2G DSM
  12. AWDgsx905speed

AWDgsx905speed Proven Member

Joined Oct 17, 2002
    Brighton, Michigan
    Does anyone have shifter or linkages, hell anything laying around to put a 91 AWD tranny into a 90 AWD?

199  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
  13. thedsmsource

thedsmsource Proven Member

Joined May 2, 2003
    I have a 90' bell housing.

14. AWDgsx905speed

Joined Oct 17, 2002
    Brighton, Michigan
    I found some more info on the differences on Vfaq.com under shifter. It shows a little better picture of the bracket differences.

199  0

· 1G DSM
  15. kyledykstra

kyledykstra Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2002

I've still got my '93 transfer case, cables, and shifter plate from when I put a '93 AWD 5 speed into my '90. I live in Green Bay, WI, so shipping might be a PITA, I'd hit the junkyards.

When I did my swap, I originally just changed the tranny and t-case and left the '90 shifter cables and linkage in there, it would NOT go into 1st or 2nd, just ground all day long. So I put the '93 cables and shifter plate in, and it worked fine.

Switching the shifter cables and shifter plate really isn't that hard, I think it too me like an hour total. If you're having problems getting a '90 tranny to work in your 91-94, I'd just switch the '90 cables and plate in, rather that messing around pulling crap off the tranny, trimming cables, etc etc.

16. AWDgsx905speed

Joined Oct 17, 2002
    Brighton, Michigan
    I finally got everything I need hopefully. I guess I will find out in a few days when this bracket arrives.

199  0

· 1G DSM
  17. devioustsi

devioustsi Proven Member

Joined May 5, 2004
    Elma, New York
    help i think

i read this whole damn post and i am confused as fock....i have a 90 tsi awd 5spd and i just bought a short throw shifter from jdmawd its a rollhard.com and his car if your not aware is 92 5spd tsi awd umm what do i need to install this shifter....i have a complete 91 5spd parts car......what do i need from it?

456  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.565 @ 135.030 · 1G DSM
  18. AWDgsx905speed

Joined Oct 17, 2002
    Brighton, Michigan
    I found the shifter cable trans mount for a 92 if you are putting a 91.5+ in a 90 it is part # MD735585 and cost $12.

199  0

· 1G DSM
  19. lovemydsm

lovemydsm Probationary Member

Joined May 10, 2004
    Barrie,
    ok guys this thread is great!!! just needs some last clarification
    i put 90 tranny in 94 car wont go in 5th and reverse i need to put the lever from the 94 on the 90 and all should be great right? if so does anyone have the levers for sale because my old tranny is gone!

20. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Best choice would be to get 90 shifter cables and shifter assembly to use with the 90 tranny. I have some if your interested pm me :talon:

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  21. aninias

aninias Proven Member

Joined Jun 6, 2004
    Texas City, Texas
    i have a 90 eclipse gsx, my shifter is just about screwed. i bought a jdm tranny from a 88 gvr4, which from what i have read should hook up with no problem. i would like to use this shift assembly that i have from a 94. what exactly will have to do to swap the shift assembly out?

22. AWDgsx905speed

Joined Oct 17, 2002
    Brighton, Michigan
    http://vfaq.com/index-main.html
    Here is a link for removing the shifter. For the Cables there is a nut with a little hoop behind the ECU, which will also need to be removed. To get to them remove the kick panels. Then there are two bolts holding the shifter cables to the firewall. After that just snake them out through the drivers compartment. Any more questions feel free to email me at Tim.Krieg@gmail.com. I have done this a few times now so I should be able to help you.

199  0

· 1G DSM
  23. DrunkMOnk

DrunkMOnk Proven Member

Joined Aug 24, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    My shifter cables in my 90 gsx are shot, what would i need to do to use 91+ shifter cables??

24. AWDgsx905speed

Joined Oct 17, 2002
    Brighton, Michigan
    To use them you would need a 91.5+ shifter. But I am not 100% sure if you can use them.

199  0

· 1G DSM
  25. jott5555

jott5555 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2003
    salem, Oregon
    i decided to reopen this thread, i want to put a 90 tranny in a 2g. (95 specifiacally)

so what will need to change from the shifter linkages ect..? goin with a 2g tranny is out of the quetion unless someone wants to trade me strait accross a 2g for a 1ga..

any info is appriciated.

275  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM