The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 90 shift linkage vs 91-94 shift linkage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jott5555 said:
i decided to reopen this thread, i want to put a 90 tranny in a 2g. (95 specifiacally)

so what will need to change from the shifter linkages ect..? goin with a 2g tranny is out of the quetion unless someone wants to trade me strait accross a 2g for a 1ga..

any info is appriciated.

If it is AWD you can't the 2G's have 3 tranny mounts and the 1G have one. Meaning there are no places to mount the 2G mounts on a 1G trans

I have a 1990 Eagle Talon. From what I can understand on this post if you put a 91-94 shifer base, cables, and cable braket (on tranny), the shifting should be shorter and better is this correct.

The reason I ask this is I just bought this 90 and forth is hell to get in. It feels like the shift fork is not going all the way into 4th. I dont like how the 1G feels really sloppy when I shift, I do not know if I have this right.

In my DSM (AWD) 91 years stood tranny W5M33-2-NPXV which has broken :cry: .
From Japan I have got tranny W5M33-2-NQZS from Eclipse GSR-4 (Japan), by the last 4 letters NQZS it was issued in 09/89-12/90, code MD995574., so I try to establish 90 tranny in 91 car.
What is it necessary to change, that drives 1/2/3/4/5/R were engaged ideally?:confused:

God this thread just saved me! i just installed a 90 tranny in my 92 gsx and i can't get into 5th or R. i thought something was seriously wrong i was freakin out.

As someone requested earlier is there anyway anyone can take pictures of what needs to be used from the 90 tranny? I'm confused on what needs to be changed to be compatible, and also how do you adjust the cables? I will search right now.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Karabas said:
In my DSM (AWD) 91 years stood tranny W5M33-2-NPXV which has broken :cry: .
From Japan I have got tranny W5M33-2-NQZS from Eclipse GSR-4 (Japan), by the last 4 letters NQZS it was issued in 09/89-12/90, code MD995574., so I try to establish 90 tranny in 91 car.
What is it necessary to change, that drives 1/2/3/4/5/R were engaged ideally?:confused:

I don't think anything is necessary. Given you put a later 90 trans in a 91-later car, it should shift fine. Should also provide a 'short' throw.

eclipsegs98911 said:
I have a 1990 Eagle Talon. From what I can understand on this post if you put a 91-94 shifer base, cables, and cable braket (on tranny), the shifting should be shorter and better is this correct.

Theoretically based on the ratios, yes. Although, I have not gone the route you have, only the inverse.

Generation1JeY said:
God this thread just saved me! i just installed a 90 tranny in my 92 gsx and i can't get into 5th or R i thought something was seriously wrong i was freakin out. As someone requested earlier is there anyway anyone can take pictures of what needs to be used from the 90 tranny? I'm confused on what needs to be changed to be compatible, and also how do you adjust the cables? I will search right now.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hmm, I thought you wouldn't need to change anything. However, if you do, I'd suspect only the brackets on the trans, because they hold the cable in different positions to allow the correct amount of free rotation.

Again, I've done the inverse (91 into a 90) and not a 90 into a 91 as you have.

I am doing a 92 awd into a 90 awd, With the 92 tranny in and the 90 shifter cable bracket and 90 shifter it shifted only into 2nd,4th and reverse.

I swapped the shifter and cable braket from the 92 into my 90 and now it only has 3rd 1st and reverse, and thats only after I adjusted the linkage for hours.

I guess I will swap the cables also and see if they help any. I really do not think I will have to change the tranny shifter lever,(will I)

Its odd that so many people get away with just swapping the cable bracket and not having to change the cables

I can add one thing to this for sure, THE SHIFTER CABLES DO NEED TO BE SWAPPED!!!!!

Most say you can keep your 90 or 91-94 cables, I can say this, I tried everything and it only worked after I changed the cables, I did not even have to adjust anything, It shifts perfect now.

Shep Tranny.......

I know this an old post, but I thought I'd add some info I didn't find anywhere else. I just put a '93 Trans in my '90 GSX. I used the shifter and cables from a '92 FWD with a 1.8, so the cables from a 1.8 car will work for the swap.:thumb:

What is the final configuration of cables, cable bracket, shifter, etc to get a 1991-94 Tranny to work in a 1990 GSX?

I bought a 1990 GSX with a 1991-94 Tranny. The current configuration is 1991-94 cable braket on the tranny, 1990 cables (I think) and 1990 Shifter. It seems to shift okay, but look at the location of the cable on the Tranny lever. From underneath it looks like it was moved and then welded into place. It seems to shift okay... kinda clunky and it grinds in from 1st to 2nd. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1991-94 Transmission = Possible Custom Welded to match 1990.jpg
    1991-94 Transmission = Possible Custom Welded to match 1990.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 231
What is the final configuration of cables, cable bracket, shifter, etc to get a 1991-94 Tranny to work in a 1990 GSX?

I bought a 1990 GSX with a 1991-94 Tranny. The current configuration is 1991-94 cable braket on the tranny, 1990 cables (I think) and 1990 Shifter. It seems to shift okay, but look at the location of the cable on the Tranny lever. From underneath it looks like it was moved and then welded into place. It seems to shift okay... kinda clunky and it grinds in from 1st to 2nd. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...inkage-vs-91-94-shift-linkage.html#post786748

Post #16

The reason I ask this is I just bought this 90 and forth is hell to get in. It feels like the shift fork is not going all the way into 4th. I dont like how the 1G feels really sloppy when I shift, I do not know if I have this right.

I have the same question, did you ever get an
answer?

Also, to put a 91-94 tranny in a 90 you put a 91-94 shifter base, cables and bracket in the 90 car correct?

Do you people not read ANYTHING?

I read the whole thread. It contradicts itself and is full of opinions, but if you have actually done the install then I trust that.

"Keep the brackets on the 91 tranny, but swap shifter base, shifter, cables."

Clarification on what is used:
1990 bracket attached from below bracket to cables (2 bolt holes)
1990 bracket attached from tranny to bracket above (4 bolt holes)
91-94 cables
91-94 shifter base
91-94 shifter

Is this list correct?

Any comments on my picture? The cable is usually linked to the tip of the transmission lever correct? From the pictures Morphius included it makes sense since there is a difference in length of about 2cm between the 1990 and 91-94. The offset position (cut and re-welded) where the cable is actually linked to the transmision seems to make it work with the setup I have:

91-94 bracket attached to tranny (4 bolt holes)
1990 bracket attached to cables (2 bolt holes)
1990 cables
1990 shifter base
1990 shifter

The car was like this when I bought it, but it could be another possilbe solution. Thanks again for the information.

I am just wondering how the 90 transmission in a 91 worked out for anyone without removing the shifter arm with the pin in it creating a short shifter? Anyone have problems down the line or unforseen problems only swaping the cable plate and the verticle shifter arm? I am just wondering since I have my tranny out right now I don't want to have to pull it later to get the pins on the arms pressed out so that I can swap them.

How does the shorter throw feel? I know it says you have to be carefully because there is no stop if you do it, any issues shifting and finding gears? Your post is exactly what I was looking for roast beef, I feel alot better about not swaping the horizontal arm, it would have been a pain to try to press out that pin and now that I know it holds up this is the way I'm gonna go, thanks noslow and roast beef.

How does the shorter throw feel? I know it says you have to be carefully because there is no stop if you do it, any issues shifting and finding gears? ....

I read that myself, but by that time I had already been running it for a few years. Like I said, I've not had any issues. I don't slam gears, just normal shifting.

I am namming this to short throw shift or not to short throw shift.
Should I drop my 90 transmission in my 91 and make some stops using Short Shifter Mod or do I just press out the pin in the shift arm and use the 91 shifter arm. It seems to me after talking to other people a real short throw shifter is the way to go even if it's a daily driver so what should I do.

If you are sticking a 90 trans into a 91 car, all you gotta do is swap the shifter cable bracket on the trans, and the top arm on the tranny, where the shifter cable attaches. <it will be held onto the trans by 2 bolts

Are you positive I should swap the vertical arm as well? It seems like I should use the 90 arm for that as well but I will use the 91 vertical arm and see what happens. I have the tranny in the car with no fluid in it and it seems to be a little difficult to get it in gear. I will see what happens when I get it back on the ground. I have to get a 90 intermediate shaft to work with the tranny to keep equal length half shafts on my car. I did the stopper mod and wen't with the short shifter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back