The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

90 eclipse gsx autox

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer009

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2010
las vegas, Nevada
Hello dsm world. I have finally decided to post my build I've been working on since mid-July. I knew this was going to be a slow build since I have just moved the car up to Tacoma from Las Vegas after I returned from deployment, which is why I was hesitant about posting this build.

The history of my dsm starts on May 25th 2009 when I first purchased it from a guy selling it on craigslist. when i get the car it had comp 101202 cams, a small 16g, no name intercooler and hard piping, 2g maf conversion. The interior was thrashed and was quickly removed a week after getting the car. The car was my daily driver for a few month until i blew the first turbo. I bought a big 16g from an evo8 got headers and had the flange turned around to the turbo would face the right way for the eclipse. that turbo lasted a couple weeks until a bad oil feed line led to its failure. pretty much after that the car really just sat. i got a 14b on it and would only run it around the neighborhood every once in a while but never drove it much. a year after I graduated I was deployed for a year in afghanistan, where i did a bunch of research and purchasing of parts for my eclipse. I put together a combo I think would be great for autox giving me not just top end but torque as well.

The parts I have.
eagle 94mm crank
manley turbo tuff 156mm connecting rods
manley 2g 9.0 .20 over pistons
manley 1mm bigger valves in. and ex.
brian crower 288/288 cams
brian crower valvesprings and retainers
1.3mm head gasket
pt&e 6376 turbo
megan turbo manifold
tial mv-r 44mm waistegate
tial 50mm q bov
mishimoto intercooler
mishimoto radiator
act maxx xtreme sprung 6 puck clutch
dsmlink with speed density
fic 1350cc injectors
aem fpr
aem tru-time adjustable timing gears
megan front and rear strut bars
megan 16 way adjustable coilovers
stoptech big brake kit

I am looking to make in the area of 600hp. I still need some parts like the intake manifold and roller rockers to finish putting the engine together. So lately I've just been out removing unneeded wiring from the harness and scraping up all the sound detoning material and removing the seem sealer, so when i get a welder i can seem weld everything.

now for the pics
IMAG0017.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0023.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0022.jpg
[/IMG]
the parts
IMAG0308-2.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0032.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0034.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0037.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0006.jpg
[/IMG]

more pics
IMAG0010.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0310-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0314-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0313-1.jpg
[/IMG]

the turbo manifold currently doesnt have a flange for the waistegate, but i will get one welded on later
IMAG0312.jpg
[/IMG]

all the sound deadening removed
IMAG0317.jpg
[/IMG]

and this is how the car sits right now
IMAG0315.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0316.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0321-1.jpg
[/IMG]

When I got the car I knew it had been in a wreck. I didn't think it was that bad until I saw inside the engine bay. a couple of the seams in there are pulling apart from each other.
IMAG0322.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0323.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0324.jpg
[/IMG]

the eninge is just sitting covered on the stand right now with no head. I don't want to put the head on until I put the cams roller rockers and tappets in it.
IMAG0326.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0325.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0330-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0329.jpg
[/IMG]

that is about as far as I am with my build. I'm waiting for payday to get some tools and the rest of the parts. I will probably still be working on the chassis trying to finish removing the rest of the seam sealer and maybe cleaning it up a bit more.

Small update for now. Been taking more parts off the car finding more seem sealer. so slowly removing all of that. Also bought a grinder and wire wheel for it to go over the areas to clean it up more. next pay day I'm going to get a bottle of argon and the welding will begin. In a week i'll have an intake manifold and my lifters so i can finally put the head back on. Still need to cut my oil pick up and move it to work with the arp main studs.
IMAG0336.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0337.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0338.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0340.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0341.jpg
[/IMG]

while i had the grinder in my hand i tried to clean up the surface rust on the rear quarter panel. thinking of finding a quarter panel in better shape. maybe if i can find one at the junk yard ill do a transplant.

IMAG0335.jpg
[/IMG]

no real update. yesterday was pay day so i finally got everything for my welder to try and start welding everything. It was a major fail. the stupid harbor freight welder has no pedal control and is too hot for how thin the metal is just melts right through everything. so i tried lowering the power and I won't get an arc from it. anyone have one of those hf arc/tig welders that can give me some tips?
IMAG0349.jpg
[/IMG]

Finally a bit of progress. Getting the engine finished and put back together. My jm fab manifold came in along with the rocker arms and flange for the turbo. I finished putting the head together with the cams and gears and have it on the block now. I miss placed my 1/2 in socket set so I wasn't able to get everything torqued down yet but at lease the motor is about finished. Still want to get a new water pump and timing belt pullies before I say its good.
IMAG0378.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0377.jpg
[/IMG]

and of course the nutorious mock up photos of the intake headers and turbo on

IMAG0380.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0381.jpg
[/IMG]

also had the shop up the street from me cut and reweld the bracket for the oil pick up

IMAG0371.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0370.jpg
[/IMG]

Well not much happening with the car, but welding the chassis with a harbor freight tig welder ended up being a fail. I'm not sure if its just too cold in my garage or what, but I couldn't get the welds to stick well. So instead of wasting time and money I just cleaned up my engine bay with brake cleaner and painted it black. It was supposed to be flat, but came out looking more semi gloss to me. I'll have to get more and do another coat later.

12-823D85F3-1693174-960-100.jpg
[/IMG]

Not trying to be a dick. But I believe your water pump pulley and power steering pump pulley is on wrong

Doesn't the smaller need flipped around and put on the inside

Yup no problem. I wasn't 100% sure cause my water pump and power steering pump run off the same belt

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious why the large turbo and big HP goal on an autox car? Autocross courses are generally pretty short and don't leave you with a lot of time to spool a larger turbo between turns.

Well I'm not sure on how fast that turbo is really going to spool up on my engine. I'm hoping I can get it tuned to have a smooth power delivery throughout the rpm range, which to me seemed to be the best for racing on a course. It's not all about power it's also about delivery, responsiveness, control... ect

That turbo will not be good at all for an autox course, unless you plan on driving the whole thing in 1st gear. With something capable of 600hp+ and 288 cams, you'll be lucky to spool. I could see that setup being better suited for a road course, but mostly that sounds like a drag setup.

I was going to do a drag car when I started my build and decided to change to autocross so what I'm planning is taking my too big 20g and compounding it with like a t25 or something. You may look into that as an option if you're wanting to keep that turbo and power. I actually want 600HP for a autocross car, it seems much but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm more worried about linear power more than max though.

I was going to do a drag car when I started my build and decided to change to autocross so what I'm planning is taking my too big 20g and compounding it with like a t25 or something. You may look into that as an option if you're wanting to keep that turbo and power. I actually want 600HP for a autocross car, it seems much but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm more worried about linear power more than max though.

Have you done autox before? Have you driven a 600hp car before? Do you know what a compound turbo would do to your class, front end weight, or heat in engine bay? Just some things to think about that seems like a slightly ridiculous idea.

Heat seems to be a bigger problem on an overworked small turbo, I've done alot of looking at compounds, and nothing really points to excessive heat, although I personally am going with a new radiator anyways. Front end weight really does suck. I wish I drive a 600HP autox car, really I wish I could say I drove autox at all. All I've done is research. Compound is what I'm gonna do, I was just giving this guy some ideas. rediculous is how I like things.

I'd like to see more autox 1G's. 600hp drag car or not, just put it through the cones.

I still do have my 14b turbo, I could compound turbo it, but it would be a lot more work and modifying than I'm wanting to do right now. I have read about a style of anti lag being used in time attack that runs the engine really lean at the lower rpm to keep the turbo spooled up and is actuated by a kind of waste gate on the cool side piping. but again a lot of modifying.

Still working on the car. Lately I've just been doing body work getting rid of the antenna and rear window wiper holes in the spoiler. Today I got in my water pump, timing components and knock sensor. soon I should be able to get the engine in the car just need a couple more parts and she will be running

So I haven't updated on here much, but i have gotten a bit of work done finally. The engine is bolted in, minus the transmission mount. wiring harness being connected. waiste gate welded onto the exhaust manifold, and so on.
IMAG0479_zps463b7d7d.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0483_zpsa65b3eba.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0481_zps853eed1f.jpg
[/IMG]

now where I am stuck at is the charge pipes going to the intercooler
IMAG0480_zps3804fa30.jpg
[/IMG]yes I know this thing is huge. I've tries even turning it upside down and it still wont come close to lining up. I dont want to have to get a smaller intercooler but that might be my only way...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back