The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

90-91awd manual trans the same as 92-94?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe sobo

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2007
stuart, Virginia
i have a 92 talon tsi and in need of tranny, but someone told me that i have to get one that matches my gears in the rear,,,,,,? is this true? if so, i cant just go buy one from jdm? if i do buy one from jdm, what do i look for so i know i get the right one?

Gearing wont be a problem. The difference in the 90's is the two shifter arms on the transmission are of a different length than the ones of later years making shifting problematic.

This is the ultimate newbie question.........So i have a 91 GSX transmission and I wanted to install it in my vr4.

for the 23 spline transmission are the numbers on the transmission the same? or would i have actually count the spines in order to see if its a 22 or 23?

This is the ultimate newbie question.........So i have a 91 GSX transmission and I wanted to install it in my vr4.

for the 23 spline transmission are the numbers on the transmission the same? or would i have actually count the spines in order to see if its a 22 or 23?

91 is supposed to be 23 spline. but you can count the spline. the spline is the number of ridges where the transfer case goes on. At least that's what im thinking. Please someone confirm this.

91 is supposed to be 23 spline. but you can count the spline. the spline is the number of ridges where the transfer case goes on. At least that's what im thinking. Please someone confirm this.

Yeah its the number of ridges on the transfer case. You can use any year 1G tranny in any 1G. You just want the T-case spline count to be right, and you have to use the shifter mounting brackets on the transmission, cables and if you can the actual shifter. I run a 91 on my 90, and I bought another 90. I have the 90 shifter, cables, mounting bracket and shifter. The 90 and 91 cables were definetly different.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back