The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

700hp manual to auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvturbo2

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2006
Huntington, West_Virginia
I'm switching from a built 5 speed to stock auto driveline. I have stripped 3rd gear and mangled a transfer case in a 5 speed. The car made 707whp uncorrected. I will be switching from pump/meth to race gas/ nitrous. What do I need to keep things from breaking my first couple passes ? Any tips tricks and essentials to keep the auto together. Never messed with an auto before and have no clue what is a must for them. Please help and if you have any auto parts for sale pm me!:thumb:

Shift kit, end clutches, bar and plate trans cooler, shifter box, synthetic fluid. There are other options like a welded center diff and 300m x-fer case mod. You can do the front clutch upgrade as well. Don't you want my parts anymore?

Yes, you will need nitous to stall. You probably already know that. Also a high stall converter is a must.

Crash Kp has a built tranny does he not?

I know he has a hight/bigger stall converter or something or other. I could have sworn it was mostly stock however I could be mistaken. I know he had a built 5 speed trans.. I do know the Tim Zimmer when through his auto trans but I forget if he did some of his crazy magic with it.. :hellyeah:

Shift kit, end clutches, bar and plate trans cooler, shifter box, synthetic fluid. There are other options like a welded center diff and 300m x-fer case mod. You can do the front clutch upgrade as well. Don't you want my parts anymore?

Yes, you will need nitous to stall. You probably already know that. Also a high stall converter is a must.

Just got the clutch sold today... Waiting on money to clear. I have nitrous for the stall now. Hoping to do the kiggly mod and ratchet shifter. Does it take much to change the end clutches (as in could my manual trans builder put them in?) Trans cooler will be picked up. As for synthetic fluids what do you all use? I'm an Amsoil dealer and planned on running super shift. I'm trying to get the car back together and to the track by Oct 23 or by latest Nov 3. Trying to win some more money to get this thing moving.

I know he has a hight/bigger stall converter or something or other. I could have sworn it was mostly stock however I could be mistaken. I know he had a built 5 speed trans.. I do know the Tim Zimmer when through his auto trans but I forget if he did some of his crazy magic with it.. :hellyeah:

Either way Kp would have had to have it rebuilt you would think...I have seen cars pull 400's off on a stock trans, with tons of miles..Now I don't know how long that trans is gonna last on KP or Tims kinda power..With at least no rebuild..

Well hell why don't you just have them chime in, and see if KP at least rebuilt his with the converter and nitrous..

Either way Kp would have had to have it rebuilt you would think...I have seen cars pull 400's off on a stock trans, with tons of miles..Now I don't know how long that trans is gonna last on KP or Tims kinda power..With at least no rebuild..

Well hell why don't you just have them chime in, and see if KP at least rebuilt his with the converter and nitrous..

Ill most likely see him tomorrow and Ill tell him about this thread and have him chime in.. Now, I do know Mr Peepers has a completely stock auto trans and hes pushing over 500 awhp(I know thats not 700hp but just throwing that out there) with his hx35 setup.. Although, he hasnt even gotten it quite finished quite yet let alone dialed it in since he got it running. Were hoping to get it to the track this weekend along with my Spyder for its first runs on the awd set up!

A basic rebuild with borg warner clutches, Full line pressure, shot peened a few internal parts, welded center diff should do the trick. Also make sure you run the best synthetic fluid with a big trans cooler.

Another trick is setting up your suspension correctly to preload the drivetrain. This may take some test and tunes and adjusting the camber. Sinister has some great converters so hit him up so he tailor up a converter for you according to you current combo. Hope this helps

As long as solenoids are shifting right then get a rebuild kit and get full line pressure and you will be fine. Stock rebuild kit has got the auto trans mid 9's. I have picked English Racing and Able Racings brain when doing my trans. As far as driveline get soil driveshaft and rear diff. bushings and if you want extra insurance get a billet rear diff.cover if they make one for a 1G.

Here is a good place for parts. They claim OEM quality but they are Borg Warner front disks and Raybesto clutches with Trans tec gaskets/seals. Or if you want to get bent over for twice the price for a rebadged kit with the same parts order from IPT.
F4A33 Transmission Parts Mitsubishi Eclipse Transmission

Lets not forget that 700 in a manual will likely be less than 600 in a auto.

Wonder how much 700 on pump/meth will change when it goes race gas/ nitrous (probably 50 shot) on same boost ?

A basic rebuild with borg warner clutches, Full line pressure, shot peened a few internal parts, welded center diff should do the trick. Also make sure you run the best synthetic fluid with a big trans cooler.

Another trick is setting up your suspension correctly to preload the drivetrain. This may take some test and tunes and adjusting the camber. Sinister has some great converters so hit him up so he tailor up a converter for you according to you current combo. Hope this helps
I have almost every energy bushing they make for the car, tunersnation rear diff bushings, metal driveshaft bushings, also installing line locker to help preload the car. Hopefully I can come up with money for converter this season. I'm on the tightest budget I've ever been on with the car. Clutches didn't cost too much any idea how hard they are to install ?

As long as solenoids are shifting right then get a rebuild kit and get full line pressure and you will be fine. Stock rebuild kit has got the auto trans mid 9's. I have picked English Racing and Able Racings brain when doing my trans. As far as driveline get soil driveshaft and rear diff. bushings and if you want extra insurance get a billet rear diff.cover if they make one for a 1G.

Here is a good place for parts. They claim OEM quality but they are Borg Warner front disks and Raybesto clutches with Trans tec gaskets/seals. Or if you want to get bent over for twice the price for a rebadged kit with the same parts order from IPT.
Alright thanks I'll check that stuff out.

Wonder how much 700 on pump/meth will change when it goes race gas/ nitrous (probably 50 shot) on same boost ?

Clutches didn't cost too much any idea how hard they are to install ?

Alright thanks I'll check that stuff out.

Rebuilding an auto trans is not hard at all, especially if you have a good working core. It really dosen't require any special tools, just patience, a very very clean work area, lint free rags, and attention.

Automatic Dsm's has complete manuals that will get you though everything.

I just an alto rebuild kit, a kiggly 5pc front, welded my center, and installed a transgo shiftkit as well as turned up the line pressure. I shift via a roadsurge box, however I had a set of switches in the car before to shift it and I found that just as easy/consistant.

The hardest/most time consuming part of the trans build was going though the valve body/installing the shiftkit. Everything inside the valve body needs to remain absolutley spotless to avoid any possible shifting issues once installed.

I would recommend a 10" sinister speed converter as well, not to mention a kiggly flexplate.

As for power loss, expect to loose 22-18% depending on the conditions, auto DSM's are NOT dyno queens, haha.

Don't let it bounce ;)

Has anyone used Edge converters or is sinster that everyone is going with now ?

Really? The same parts? Where are you getting your info from?

-John
IPT Performance Transmissions
Facebook- IPT Performance Transmissions
IPT Transmissions YouTube Channel
IPT Performance Trans Blog

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back