The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Manual to auto swap problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beansblacktsi

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2007
Lincoln, Nebraska
Well I just finished the swap on a 92 awd and the motor turned over freely, and when I cranked it with the starter it also spun easy. But as soon as the motor fired up it locked up and died. I cant turn the cranks over at all. I was wondering what could of locked up in the trans to cause this? Also in every gear its locked up.

Now I came to a new problem, does anybody know how I can take the trans back out because I cant turn the motor over to get to all the bolts that go from the flex plate to the converter. Any help is appreciated!

If you pull the motor and trans together, you can pull the trans away from the converter..That would leave the engine with the converter still mounted to it..I don't know of any other way of doing it...

If you pull the motor and trans together, you can pull the trans away from the converter..That would leave the engine with the converter still mounted to it..I don't know of any other way of doing it...

Yeah thats what ill end up doing tomorrow, I dont even know why I didnt think of that until someone on dsmtalk suggested it!
Well does anybody have any ideas on what might of caused this to happen?

I would pull the starter and have a peek in there to see if there's anything ovious in there. Mabe the starter is bound up?

Sound's like to me your timing belt jumped some teeth and ran your valves into your pistons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back