The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

6 bolt swap ROUGH IDLE PLEASE HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse12345

Proven Member
Jul 30, 2014
Down the block, Minnesota
I have a 97 gst with a 6 bolt motor my first swap everything is stock except my bov and air cleaner I'm using a 97 intake and 97 turbo 1g head and block no vacuum leaks or anything timing is spot on brand new timing belt was put on I used the adapter plug for my cas everything is wired correctly and plugged in and it still idles rough but drives great once warm it idles at 1000 so I'm really lost at this point I had a shop check it out and they have no idea please help I'm frustrated

Did you use the 1g or 2g tps and make sure it's adjusted properly? I'll guess you already did spark plugs. Ignition timing requires a timing light, but look that procedure up because describing it would probably leave you worse off than if you looked it up yourself. Double check your wiring and sensors make sure you didn't forget one. Also the boost leak test is a must if you haven't done one. Rough idles can be so many things so just kind of brainstorming a bit and things I would check. I've never done a 6bolt swap so not sure how much I can help outside of basic dsm stuff.

I would start with ignition timing http://www.plymouthlaser.com/timin.htm

Last edited:
I used a 2g tps and I triple checked all my wiring and such I've done plugs vacuum boost tests and still nothing has changed not even a little and do you know of any way I could adjust my turbo without a boost controller it's set way to high or something I'm tired of burning out in second gear at only 3k rpms thank you so much for responding and helping me out

No problem on the help, we always try to help each other out here, the best we can.

I take it you have the 14b turbo from the 1g, make sure the wastegate actuator is hooked up, if it's not you could be over boosting I think the stock 14b is around 8-10 pounds roughly.

Also look up on youtube how to do a boost leak test, you can make a kit for 5-10 bucks and then all you need is an air compressor.

I am using the 97 turbo t25 I think not sure but the waste gate is hooked up and everything I'm not sure what's up but it's scary fast oh and if I run my car like with this rough idle will I hurt anything because I have to wait to get it in the shop next week it's got a small oil leak at the oil return line also still trying to figure out what and how to fix that but usually after about 5 min of run time the idle smooths out for some reason hits about 900-1000 not sure there either but again thank you for the reply

A t25 on a 1g shouldn't be scary fast, it would be slower that a stock 2g and a stock 1g since the 1gs use the 14b and have lower compression and the 2g has higher compression with the smaller t25. Idle can be adjusted using the biss screw http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BISS-1G.html since it's a 6 bolt in a 2g I can't say exactly what does or does not translate using this method.

As far as breaking your car... if it's running rough there is something not right, it might or might not be fine driving it, that is a judgement call but I probably wouldn't be having a lead foot, especially since your concerned. If it only idles rough while it's cold (still warming up) it could be something temperature related, IE: fiav, coolant sensor, or something along those lines. But I would really make sure ignition timing is correct, it's stupid simple to do. After you do it or have a buddy show you how, you will see.

Oil leak is just a simple gasket and possibly some rtv, the gaskets are a couple of bucks.

I know that's what I don't get that's why I asked if there was a way to adjust it cause I've never seen one like this before I really couldn't tell you plus yeah I thought the 1g was better I have both but decided to go with the t25 cause I wasn't looking for a lot just some boost but this was beyond what I was expecting I don't even give it half throttle so I have no idea what's up with it anyway how would I adjust the ignition timing? Does it have to do with the cas and I won't be driving it until I fix this leak I had to use a hose my second hose I've used and it still leaks it's very frustrating[DOUBLEPOST=1409800774][/DOUBLEPOST]Forget the cas sorry just looked at the link wow LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back