The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

6-bolt or 7-bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d1prospect

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2004
Glen Bunie, Maryland
:thumb::notgood:i have a on going question that baffles the mind of many dsmers. when building a 2g do you grab a 6 or 7-bolt any why? many people say 6-bolt because of crankwalk, but whats your opinion(i know people who have built 7-bolts and love'm without any problems) whats your opinions?:dsm::talon::laser:

I wouldn't go as far to say it's "SAFER" to use a 6 bolt.

You can use whatever you want, and asking such a question on this site will bring very mixed feelings on the two engines. If you are building your engine right you can use measures to help prevent thrust bearing failure on any engine, 2g, or 1g.

If you would rather stick with a 7 bolt, rebuild one from a 98 or 99 GST or GSX as it will have the split thrust bearing. Using a block with the split (4 piece) thrust bearing is Mitsubishi's fix to the "crankwalk" issue. There have been a very few amount of people who have had a thrust bearing failure on the blocks consisting of the split thrust bearing compared to the 95-97 blocks which had a solid thrust bearing.

Just my $0.02

I second this ^^ A lot of people will tell you to grab a 6 bolt because of crankwalk. However the 7 bolt is a very underestimated engine and crankwalk is very overrated. The choice is yours.

People can go on and on and on in a tread like this for the simple fact that everyone has their opinion and there is no solid answer to something like this. My guess is that most people would say go for the 6 bolt. There is an almost infinite number of ways to make either motor equally powerful and reliable. the 6 bolt has much bigger intake ports, better flowing large runner intake manifold, and a bigger throttle body, that's good for higher volume air flow. It also has a better turbo, and thicker, stronger rods and doesn't seem to have a problem with crank walk but considering the actual (very low) percentage of 7 bolts that encounter crank walk it's not a real issue IMO. The 7 bolt has smaller intake ports, smaller TB, and the intake manifold has narrower runners which is good for higher velocity air flow. It also has higher compression pistons. Saying which rout would be the better choice depends on your plans on building the motor, how much work you're willing to do, how much you're willing to spend, and so on and so on. I personally am keeping my 7 bolt block and putting a 1g head on just because it's easier and less expensive. My suggestion is rather than asking people what their opinion is (ie, what they would do), go do some research, find out what your personal goals are, and find out the best way to reach that goal. Either way, good luck.:thumb:

Honestly how many years do we have to live in fear of the whole crankwalk debacle... These cars are at the age if they havn't experienced this by now you're probably safe :p It's no secret these cars are old, if you're going for serious power you're going to build your engine anyways...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back