The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

6-Bolt Moroso Oil Pan Nightmare

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cablefed

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2002
IndianaUS
I wanted to write this thread more for the archives and someone who is doing research on adding a Moroso oil pan to there six bolt motor. I purchased a Moroso oil pan for my six bolt put it on and it leaked in several areas. The most noticable leak was with the turbo return. The other leaks came from cracked welds around supporting seams. The cracks were a manufactors defect as the pan only had about 30 miles on it when the cracks were discovered.

The pan was pulled and sent back to Moroso to be repaired. The pan was returned and put back on the car to yet still leak. The obvious leak around the oil return still exisited, personally I think its a crap design, but the other leak came from the bottom of the block where the pan seals against the block. The pan was pulled and the plane was checked to find out that the pan was not straight. A level showed that it was bowed and prob. did not get resurfaced by Moroso. A call to Moroso discovered that they did not resurface or pressure test the pan to ensure the welds or plane was straight. Moroso, a huge manufactor of domestic and import racing parts, said send it back to be repaired a 2nd time.

Down time due to this pan has been over 2 months and i decided to go back to a stock pan. Moroso received my pan a second time along with a letter stating my opinion of there $500.00 oil pan. I was using the oil temp bung in the moroso pan to monitor my oil temp. I had a bung installed on my stock pan to accomodate the sensor. I will post some pics of my stock pan modified for A/N fittings and the temp bung.

So the main point of this post is that the Moroso oil pan is not a reliable product. I have heard stories that the Honda version has the same issues, almost the same story. I didn't really need the pan, but had plans to do alot of auto crossing and wanted the extra capacity for oil starvation. I think in almost every situation a stock oil pan will do fine. I hope this helps someone down the line in staying away from this pan. Cheers!

well that sucks, i was looking into one of those..guess i wont now :thumb:

shoot and this was someting I wanted to get in the future as well. I would like to hear from anyone else though that has the moroso oil pan if they have had the same problems or if this is pretty much just a isolated incident.

Well, one bad cookie doesn't condemn a bakery like Moroso.

However, their apparent handling of this failed product certainly does. Repaired? How about a brand-new one.

Very sad. More sad how often we hear these kinds of stories anymore.

I so fawkin said that when I posted about considering the morso oil pan, those welds scare me and Im afraid that they might crack, and you showed my theory right! Get a stocker!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back