The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt build up/pricing..need lots of imput

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siral3x

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Ludington, Michigan
I decided to keep my 90 GSX bc everybody seems to want it for free nowadays LOL
Anyway, I got a 91- 6 bolt from my rearended' TSI that is sitting on a pallet for 1 year now.

What I got so far figured:
-I'm sticking with stock 2.0L displacement;

Question:
What is the best rod/piston combo for a 500-600hp engine?
(My choise as of now: Carillo/Wiseco)

Machine work/labor cost quoted today March 08:
-hot tank: $55
-Boring any size: $80
-micro polish crank: $25
-balancing: $140
-Crank grind if necessary: $75
-Deck surface: $75
-rods/piston assy: $30 (or free if I chose to have them put the block togheter)
-$350 labor to put everything back togheter;

This is the machine work I asked for...am I missing anything important? I know I just asked for basic stuff.
IS this price fair for the machine work requested?
OK...now I gotta buy the parts...so I figure another $1500 worth of quality parts...

Any imput/recomedations would be grately appreciated since I gotta buy the parts in 1 week pretty much.
Who has the cheapest carillo/pauter rods, and good wiseco pistons? Frankly I'm a college student on a budget..so whoever has the cheapest NEW parts is the winner.
The engine will be hitting the machine shop in 3-4 days.
:dsm:

Thx a lot
Alex

If you're looking for a budget build, skip the balancing. Eagle rods are a good suggestion, and don't cut your crank. If it's not within spec, just get a used one. Micro polishing is a good idea as well. I suggest you save some money assembling it yourself. Just have the shop press the rods onto the pistons, and you can do the rest. You can also look into a balance shaft elimination while you're in there. It's amazingly easy with the motor out of the car.

You should be able to assemble the pistons and rods yourself. The wrist pins shouldn't be pressed in. I would have the machine shop check and see if the mains need to be align honed.

I was just about to say, eagles arent good for 900..maybe in a 3kgt, but not a dsm. If you're looking for something to make 500whp on and not worry about breakage, id personally get Manleys.
Get a set of Ross pistons because they're good for DD usage since they dont have to expand as much, build up the head to rev higher and get a set of cams (272 or bigger) and boost away :)

I decided on Manley I beam rods...
Now I wanted ROSS 8:5.1 CR pistons, but I just talked over with a friend from UK and he is hooking me up with a set of ARIAS 8:8.1 CR pistons.
We settled for 1k for the rod/piston combo, and I think it's a pretty good deal.
Any feedback on ARIAS pistons?? bc my buddy Mike swears on them, and he got a
642whp EVO8.
I'm planning on running a gt35r on 880cc injectos, and Bosch 300lph fuel pump.
I also got a chipped eprom ecu that I will use...

Sweet! Good luck on your build.. I'm currently building a 2.4 for my project...

I highly suggest getting the Crank ground. hopefully you won't have to, but if that's the case, I would suggest buying a BRAND NEW one or at least finding a perfect core to start with. 500HP will not be reliable on a ground crank.

Your rod and piston choice is awesome. You won't have any problems with that combo.

Good luck with your project!

Arias pistons are a pretty good bang for the buck. I have a few friends using them with the same compression and have heard nothing but good results. Piston slap is minimal but then again they all have really tight motors so it all just depends on how you get your cylinders bored and the ring choice you go with.
What type of 35 arrrrrrrrrrr are you going with? I made 586 on my 3582 2 years ago....if i had to do it over again (had the funds to do it then) i wouldda opted for a full t4 setup....but then again i broke all the tranny mounts on the block when i hooked up ONE time so yea. :(

Garrett GT3582R dual ball bearing with the .82 A/R turbine housing. is what I have in mind. I'm not going for the t4 anytime soon bc I already went big enough for the sunday drives that my GSX will see.
586 are good numbers....what was your setup??
I'm a fine tunning freak and will have a long way and hours of logging to go for those numbers.
It's really nice that in Michigan we don't have to pass emissions every year, so I don't have to worry to much about that.

Full 3 inch exaust
Aeromotive 1000 pump
-10an fuel lines
880 injectors
DNP Manifold
Ross pistons
Manley rods
ARP everything
Clevite Bearings (when they werent poop)
Manley springs
HKS 272's
AEM EMS
5 bar map sensor
Tial 44mm wg
Tial bov

Power was made @32psi
Probably was more left in it, but ran out of funds and i was happy with that!
Went 10.87@132 @ Pittsburgh Raceway Park

LOL should have seen the car, looked like it was raped by mcdonalds with it being orange, red, blue hood, and primer, with under construction spray painted on both the doors (compliments of me LOL

Mine is white with primer here and there...for a 1990 with Michigan salty roads it's decent..
-10 AN are thick fuel lines LOL ...I got -8 an
-3 inch Apex'i N1 DP with 3 inch catless homemade exhaust...
-880 PTEs;
-HKS 272s..
-no AEM EMS ...I don't think it's worth it...heck not even the Link is not worth it if u ask me
-turbo 14B LOL it won't die...I want to kill it ..it just doesn't want to die...I'm waiting for it to die so I can get a 35r;
etc..
I'm looking forward to hit the track this summer with the new engine in..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back