The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

5th gear assembly removel 1990 Talon FWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilk1976

Probationary Member
Jul 10, 2004
Livingston, Gulf Shores, Alabama
I am putting a LSD in my tranny but I cant for the life of me get the 5th gear assembly off of the shaft. The intermediate gear slid off its shaft with no problems as well as the shift fork assembly. It is hard to get a gear puller on the assembly as well. On the Vfaq they dont say much about the 5th gear assembly except that it comes off easily with a puller, from what I have found it does not. I put the puller on the top synchro assembly above the 5th gear and cranked down on the puller pretty tight and it didnt move from what I could tell. I was wondering if it there is a trick to doing this? Is the spline that the assembly is on tapered making it a pressed fit? Can I pull the entire assembly including the gear off at the same time? Any relpys would be appreciated.

VFAQ said:
Remove the 5th/rev shift fork pin.

Remove the 5th/rev snychro assembly/shift fork and 5th speed gear. Note the orientation (top and bottom) of the 5th/rev synchro assembly. Replace the 5th and rev gear synchro rings or entire 5th/rev hub/slider assembly with synchro rings.

Remove the 5th speed intermediate gear. It was very difficult for me to get this off, I needed to pry it with 2 large screwdrivers. (TS - If you have a gear puller, try using it instead, but be careful to make sure the arms on the puller grip enough of the back of the gear, you don't want to chip the teeth on the gear.)

Double check you did'nt miss something then rent a gear puller.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannyrebuild.html

The 5th gear syncro hub is a loose press fit. It's not tapered. With the big end nut off you should be able to see the splines that hold it on. I'm usually able to pull it off with my hands by rocking side to side a little bit at a time. If your puller doesn't pull up perfectly straight the hub might tilt to one side and get jammed on tight. Try using a small prybar to pry it up at different points around the hub. Don't expect it to pop off all at once, you'll have to work it off a little bit at a time.

I use 2 small prybars or two small flat head screw drivers, one on each side and rock them back and forth, it'll come off.

I had no trouble at all with the intermediate gear, I pulled it off with my hand. When you pry it do you pry the entire assembly including the gear or just the synchro hub?? I can barely get a screwdriver in between the gear and synchro hub much less one on each side due to the two synchro rings in between the synchro hub and the 5th gear. In the vfaq they said they used a gear puller I dont see how they got it on there because there is not enough room between the gear and the case and there really isnt enough room between the gear and synchro hub due to the synchro rings and I really dont want to put any kind of pressure on the synchro rings since they are easy to bend. :confused:

Ok guys I got it off, I used a punch and a hammer and just tapped on it all the way around at different points until I could get the puller on it at which point it came off easily, Thanks for the replys :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back