The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Use 5th gear from FWD in AWD tranny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWDlaserRS

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2002
New_Ipswich_NH
Ok Ive been pondering about this for a little while now>

Is it possible to give my AWD tranny a higher top speed by using 5th gear from a spare FWD tranny I have?

I'm pretty sure the AWD's have the higher top speed 5th gear then the FWD's do.

www.vfaq.com

Then click on drivetrain and scroll down to gear ratio's and there is a chart in there.

Originally posted by 98TsiAWD
Just get the 208mph 5th gear from TRE for $200, or mayb eits 220 i cant remember.

Seems like that would be a pretty big RPM change going from 4th to 5th with that 200mph gear.

Originally posted by ryanman
I'm pretty sure the AWD's have the higher top speed 5th gear then the FWD's do.

www.vfaq.com

Then click on drivetrain and scroll down to gear ratio's and there is a chart in there.

Stock, AWD's will go faster only because the FWD's have a speed limiter. Drivetrain wise, the FWD will go faster.

Originally posted by DSM mechanix
Stock, AWD's will go faster only because the FWD's have a speed limiter. Drivetrain wise, the FWD will go faster.

Thats what I thought too, but that VFAQ is saying otherwise. Do you have a link or something that might help clarify things?

I just got around to checkin the VFAQ, and now Im as curious as you are... OMG

The VFAQ is right. I'm not sure which part you're looking at, but if you look at the overall gear ratios (as in, 5th gear ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio) you'll see the FWD car has slightly taller gearing than the AWD car.

If you just look at the 5th gear ratio alone the AWD has the taller gear. That's why installing the AWD 5th gear in a FWD trans gives you even taller gearing.

Originally posted by pneumo
The VFAQ is right. I'm not sure which part you're looking at, but if you look at the overall gear ratios (as in, 5th gear ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio) you'll see the FWD car has slightly taller gearing than the AWD car.

If you just look at the 5th gear ratio alone the AWD has the taller gear. That's why installing the AWD 5th gear in a FWD trans gives you even taller gearing.

So I was right, the FWD 5th gear will give an AWD a higher top speed correct?

Originally posted by AWDlaserRS
So I was right, the FWD 5th gear will give an AWD a higher top speed correct?

No, you're wrong. It's the other way around. If you put a FWD 5th in an AWD tranny you would be going slower at the rev limiter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back