The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

5 speed to 4 speed swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeedTalonNow

Proven Member
Dec 13, 2012
Madison, New_Hampshire
Please don't hate, but I may have the chance to pick up a 95 Talon Tsi with a bad 5 speed which needs replace or rebuild. Can anyone tell me what might be involved work and money wise to turn it into a 4 speed auto. Have not seen it yet, but I know the tranny is bad. Again, please don't hate.

trans, transfer case, driveshaft most likely, rear diff, tcu or shift box/kiggly mod, etc.

Would be by far best to start with a auto awd parts car if that is your choice. I love my auto awd, no hate here. I had planned to 5 speed swap and needing EVERYTHING turned me off. Slowly I grew to love this auto and here I plan to stay.

If your 4spd auto to the grave set , then the best bet is to buy a wrecked auto trans car, then take what you need from it to convert it over.
believe me when I say you will waste a ton of money, in gas , trips to and from wrecking yards, friends houses, dsm tuners classifieds, shipping costs on parts etc otherwise.

I don't mean to blow your dream out of the sky or anything, I just have seen many projects go no where fast when they don't have all the parts on the table at once thats all.

Driveshaft is the same, depends on what kind of rear end is with your auto trans to decide if you need the LSD or non LSD rear axles. I definitely recommend a shiftbox over the tcu. Definitely no hate for going auto. I was auto, swapped to 5 speed, and just swapped back to auto for this season. Also axles are different up front as well

If you have a 6 bolt in your 2g then you'll also need kigglys 6 bolt in a 2g adapter because the 5 speed tranny fits, but the 6 bolt destroys the trans pump without that adapter giving it enough clearance

Don't forget the flexplate and torque converter along with everything else already mentioned.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back