The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

4g63t to a 4g63 non turbo engine block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lasertalm

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2013
Stanton, Kentucky
I have a non turbo 1992 laser. The block is bad. I need to replace the block. I have a new non turbo head on the bad non turbo engine so would like to use it on my new block. So my question is can I use a 4g63 turbo block in place of my non turbo block? I will be using my non turbo head, cams etc.

Can i plug the oil cooler lines because my non turbo does not have them?

I have Read a many threads on here for the opposite swap but the 2 I have read on this type of swap I am a little confused when talking of heat and the pistons. The turbo pistons I've seen have a thicker top land. Which I think would be better? Thank you for help in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast replies. I know im gonna be a slow lane mover with yhis car build. Look out next tnough got a talon to build for the strip next.. I am confused. Will it be more of a slug than before? Does the turbo block have less compression than the non turbo? Confused. I have looked for 3 weeks for a non turbomblock with no luck at a decent price. There are a couple on the bay but they are turbo blocks. I want to go back stock with this car since it was my sons first car.

Thank you

Wow. I have turbo and non turbo pistons, cranks etc. What would you recommend? Put tha non turbo pistons in the turbo block? How about the crank and rods?

I read the links and since I am non turbo the compression from non turbo pistons will be ok. Are the rods and crank the same or different between the non turbo and turbo. I guess what I need to know is if I use the non turbo pistons should I use cank and rods also?

Last edited:
Ok, just completed the project today. I had to use the turbo pistons mine where not stock they were over .020. Car sounded smooth and was great in the parking lot. Took it on the road and reality starting setting in when I wasn't going through the gears as fast as I normally would. Then when the model A got me on take off I knew this was not gonna work. Engine will come out tomorrow and I will undo what I done today. May just look around for s short or long block to start with. Thank all for the help. Hope I can help the forum as you do as I learn about the dsm.

I have decided to go stock non turbo. Maybe look around for something reasonable and take my turbo block and head and make it my new hobby for the summer building it. So if anyone knows of a stock drop in please let me know. Thanks for the help

How about you order a set on NT pistons and rings to fit the turbo block and be done? NPR brand will be just fine.

What happened to junk the original NT block?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back