The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

4g63 head on a 4g64 block? Issues??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKJson2112

Proven Member
Jul 12, 2013
Vidor, Texas
I have a 97 Eclipse GS Spyder that cam with the 2.4L SOHC 4g64 engine. I was wondering if I can replace the head with a DOHC 4g63 head without needing any additional parts. Would the 4g63 timing belt work? I've heard different answers, but I want answers from people that have actually dealt with this specifically. I'm not planning on running a turbo, so I wouldn't have to do any internal upgrades, right? I'm not much into racing, and this is my DD. What advantages come with the DOHC over the SOHC other than the fact that it just looks cooler and sounds better? Are there any advantages? I've read about a thousand different threads, but everyone wants to turbo their engine or add as many performance parts as possible. I just want a stock 4g63 head on a stock 4g64 block. I heard that there are some oil return ports on the 4g64 block that would need to be blocked off, but that's not really an issue. My main concern is the timing belt and whether or not I would have to do internal upgrades. Only post if you've dealt with this specific engine hybrid. :thumb:

You would need to
- Block the extra oil drains
- Remark stock 4g63 cam gears, or buy stock 4g64 DOHC cam gears.
- Use a 4g64 DOHC timing belt.

Advantages in NA form would be little to none. Unless your looking to turbo your engine, there's really no point.

Okay. Thanks for the info! I just heard a lot about people saying it's a better setup. I never really saw the point, but I would have done it if it actually did have an advantage. It sounds like too much of a hassle for little to no improvement.

I'm currently doing a 2.4 stroker swap. its only worth it if your turboing it. I blocked the extra drain holes, got a 4g64 timing belt and adjustable cam gears. that's not the bad part. I am not looking forward to degreeing this thing. need solid lifter and a degreeing wheel.

Are you making a build log? Be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them. I haven't been able to come across many pictures of the process, and I know that plenty of the people planning on doing the DOHC 4g64 build want to see how other people did it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back