The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420a Turbo at 180k opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...my point being 95% of the time a 15 year old car with 180000+ is not going to be "healthy" enough to support added abuse from a turbo. And a compression test alone should not be the tell all test to determine health for a turbo addition. You guys are basically arguing that a high mileage engine can be just as strong of a platform as a rebuilt/new engine which to me, is retarded. Now if you want to split hairs and say someone could abuse a car for 5k and someone else could meticulously maintain a car for 150k....in which the 150k car would last "longer" than the 5k car...fine. But be realistic...the average old, high mileage car...ESPECIALLY "tuner" cars..have generally been beaten down already and will not hold on for too long after boosting...even with a proper tune and supporting mods....nearly every component of the car still has high mileage.
My question to you is did you really swap a D16Z6 with 150k in your car or did it get swapped a long time ago and you put the miles on it? What internals is it running? All oem, never replaced 150k internals? And when you say "turbo related problems", what problems did you have with the car? With the exception of obvious things like electronics, suspension...ect, lots of things can be effected by boost. Not just blowing a piston.

I agree that most of the time an older car, especially a tuner car as you point out, will not have been maintained properly, and therefore will suffer from early failures resulting from the addition of boost. But even on a neglected car, you can normally do the needed maintenance, change any parts that may fail early, or show excess wear and be fine.

The difference in this case, which has already been pointed out, is that the OP's motor is not healthy. So he will likely just be pushing it into an early grave.

And yes i swapped a documented 150K D16Z6 into my EF hatch, because i bought a wrecked EG with a good motor for exactly that purpose. It was all OEM, never taken apart for so much as a headgasket or even a valve cover gasket.

The failures i had, bad thermostat, bearing in the distributor failed which caused the rotor to catch and explode, and had to drive in limp mode for a week due to a bad cable for my hondata ECU while i waited for a new one. Also had to replace my master brake cylinder as well. Not a one of these could have been caused by the addition of a turbo. (Unless you wanna get technical and argue the hondata cord wouldn't have been there if not for the turbo, in which case :p)

What are you talking about? :confused: A huge amount of parts on your car are from japan. And what does that have to do with the debate here? And for the record....saying your ebay turbo has 12k, but your beat engine blows smoke makes your point irrelevant.

He didn't say his motor smoked, he said he looked at a spyder that was for sale, and with 130K on it, it was smokeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like ### crap so much move to japan.Our economy is bad enough!Its because of guys like you that its all f----d up!!!!

You know nothing about me, my car or obviously the economy. Please refrain from making any further ignorant posts and personal attacks against me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back