The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Track Worthy Street Build (1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyder Cold Air Intake

Installed my first aftermarket part ever. I know it is really basic and requires basically no knowledge to do, but I'm happy. It was really simple, although everything didn't fit smoothly like I had anticipated, I did manage to get it installed. with some minor adjustments. I did have to move my horn out of the way, but I didn't even have to take it off to move it. The bracket that it is on is straight and allowed me to just loosen it, turn it, and tighten it back up.

I will edit and add pictures in a little while.

Steps
  1. Loosened the hose clamps and removed the hose connecting the intake to the air filter box.
  2. Removed the air filter box cover and remove the air filter.
  3. Used a 10MM socket to remove the three bolts from inside the other half of the air filter box, and remove the other half of the air filter box.
  4. Placed the rubber sleeve over the curved end of the shorter pipe and two hose clamps over the rubber sleeve.
  5. Placed the other end of the rubber sleeve on the intake. Did not tighten the clamps.
  6. Took the longer curved pipe and placed it in the engine bay and lined it up with the smaller pipe. This pipe curved down towards the driver side headlight and through an opening to fit just behind the bumper under the headlight.
  7. Placed the other rubber sleeve between the smaller and larger pipe, making sure to place the other two hose clamps on the sleeve before putting both ends of the pipe in.
  8. After adjusting the pipes to both fit about half way in the sleeve, tightened the clamps down on either side.
  9. Found out that the previous owner had removed a large portion of the splash shield and cut away part of the splash shield in the wheel well.
  10. Found the the horn was in the way of the filter for the cold air intake. Loosened the bolt connecting the horn hinge to rest of the car, tilted the horn and hinge up and towards the wheel, then tightened the hinge.
  11. Placed the filter on the end of the intake pipe and tightened down the hose clamp on the filter.
  12. Used one of the bolts removed from the air filter box to bolt the pipe hinge to one of the holes that the bolt was originally removed from.
  13. Tightened the hose clamps connecting the intake to the pipe.
  14. Removed all of the tools from the engine bay and started her up.
  15. Went online to order the splash shields.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back