The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2nd gen seats shifting, loose bolts in seats?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdertalon

Proven Member
Jul 7, 2016
East side, Washington
2nd gen factory driver seat, electrical seat

I noticed the seat was shifting around in turns / acceleration first thing I did was tighten the bolts that hold the seats into the car which made an improvement now the seats still move around a bit though and the passenger is manual while the drivers is electric.

Im kinda thinking I need to pull the seats out and take a look and see if I can access bolts in the pivot points and on the drivers seat whatever is going on with the electric motor mounting?

Anyone have some advice or have you pulled the seats apart and got into having to tighten the bolts in the seat or mounting hardware/seat rails?

I did some searching on the forums and didn't see anything relating to this.. Im thinking the seats are older and have been taking vibration abuse for 20 years so they are bound to have some loosening, but its just a bit underving when I'm driving around and feel an odd shift in the seat haha.

The seats riveted together in the mounting bracket below, if bolting it down doesn't correct the "shifting" feeling you're describing maybe a rivet or weld came loose.

Was the car ever in an accident or the person sitting in them weigh 400lbs?

I would say just pull them out and take a look. It takes a few minutes to remove them then you can find your problem for sure. My passenger side seat didn't lock and it turned out to be a tight spring. I'm not entirely sure on the automatic seat but the easiest thing to do is remove them.

The seats riveted together in the mounting bracket below, if bolting it down doesn't correct the "shifting" feeling you're describing maybe a rivet or weld came loose.

Was the car ever in an accident or the person sitting in them weigh 400lbs?

huh.. you sadly might be on to something there. It has been in an accident with a prior owner and it could have affected the seats a bit, I have some experience dealing with seat issues on other cars for example a truck I borrowed from a friend the seat wouldn't stay in place, so the owner put a milk crate in the back seat and the drivers seat rested on it.. this in short order drove me insane so I drilled a hold and attached two pieces of metal together with a bolt and the seat works normally now. As to the weight of prior owners its hard to say I weigh in at around 220 average build and I like to go to the gym, however I have seen some real big ole boys drive smaller cars round these parts so.. haha idk man anything is possible.

I may end up pulling the seats out later and pulling the covers off of them and see how the rivets and things are holding up.

There are only a few things I don't recommend "rigging" to work, your seat(s) is one of them. If the seat has been compromised from a prior accident I recommend you immediately get a replacement or pull it and weld whatever's busted in the brackets.

A 2g driver seat is a 2g driver seat, it doesn't matter what year or model. Not all of them came automatic but even the manual seats will work, any will do.

There are only a few things I don't recommend "rigging" to work, your seat(s) is one of them. If the seat has been compromised from a prior accident I recommend you immediately get a replacement or pull it and weld whatever's busted in the brackets.

A 2g driver seat is a 2g driver seat, it doesn't matter what year or model. Not all of them came automatic but even the manual seats will work, any will do.

Good looking out man, yeah I will pull them apart and take a look. I don't mind pulling out a welder if I need to.. I read something about the electric motor holds the seat in place and the motor is held to the frame rail by two screws that can come loose. Its not that it moves much or is super odd it just shifts like a cm side to side. Both seats do it to some degree the bolts that hold the seats into the car were loose I will double check those too. I am rather fond of the stock seats so its worth repairing them. The drivers seat shifted like an inch and a half or so forward and back before I tightened the bolts to the car, of which 1 was kinda snug before and 3 were maybe hand tight.

So if anyone comes looking for this info in the future, the seat shifting turned out to be becuase one of the power motor drives (they are a little gear box) had come off. They have an allen bolt holding them in M4x20mm? They are small but real important. I had to take the seat out of the car to figure out after I "fixed" it why it was still shifting and I did. The one side gear box coming off and the other being loose let half of the seat shift 1"+ further forward than the other side. So while one side was on rung 11 of the rails the other one was at like 12.5.. once I figured that out and made them even (same position on both sides) and tightened everything up I could get a wrench or screwdriver on its solid now! Finally working non shifting drivers power seat yay.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back