The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 2GB Running Lean After Build and Tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsemf

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2010
Glen, New_Hampshire
Hey everyone I am having an issue with the 2g GSX after a motor rebuild (new HG and just went over it to take care of leaks ect). I am running super lean at idle after getting it going and after the tune and when driving (didnt drive far). I know I am over looking something obvious but I am scratching my head at this point and need to get this car going again.

Mods List

Evo 560cc injectors
STM Fuel pump rewire on stock pump
Cold Air intake
Small FMIC with hard pipes
14b Turbo on 7cm hot side
3" exhaust with open dump o2
272 BC cams
BC1100 valve springs
1g BOV recirc
Light weight fly wheel
XTD stage 4 clutch
Aem Wideband
Boost and Volts Gauge
DSM link v3 (I think its lite)
ARP Headstuds

I have verified timing is good, cams are on the correct side (intake vs exhaust) no boost leak tested up to 25psi. No exhaust leaks. I have tried multiple MAFS. The last thing I need to check this weekend is fuel pressure with a new regulator and gauge but just trying to get some more ideas in case thats not the fix. I can upload a log in the morning if that helps. The guy tuning my car is great one of the best in the region so I think everything there is good. Any feed back or things to check would be great, car goes away in about a month.

Also on the logs I cant get my wideband to link up after following the procedure on ECM tuning and multiple video on youtube but thats not a priority here yet. Its shows up on link just doesnt log properly.

Solution
Thanks everyone for the help got everything pretty much dialed in and WB o2 is logging properly now. Few issues I was causing and this was just a base tune so I went it back out to get re adjusted and then go from there!
Post a log. You can get the wideband to log properly. I set one up tonight for a car i was tuning. But anyway so when it was tuned it was fine and now its lean? Or sense the day it was tuned it was lean?

Its ran lean since I started it back up from the build. It ran a little lean on start up before the tear down but after I reved it up to like 2k rpm it cam out of it and ran fine. Here is the log plus the 2 files for my starting tune. I did change it and have the WB set up and on the data screen but it wont log values for some reason but ill figure that out this week. Any ideas is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• settings.2020.09.25-01._base1.ecm
    4.1 KB · Views: 24
  • directaccess.2020.09.25-01.base1.eda
    15.5 KB · Views: 21
  • log.2020.10.08-02.elg
    316.4 KB · Views: 23
I just went through this but mine was running on three cylinders. Turned out to be one injector completely stuck closed. Feel each injector and see if they all feel about the same when it's running.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I actually rebuild injectors for a living so I just went over them and flow matched them when I installed them. Ill check them again just for the heck of it, they way this car has been it wont hurt, trying to check and double check everything so ill do that this afternoon!

I would think that would throw a CEL instantly but maybe not

I actually rebuild injectors for a living so I just went over them and flow matched them when I installed them. Ill check them again just for the heck of it, they way this car has been it wont hurt, trying to check and double check everything so ill do that this afternoon!

I would think that would throw a CEL instantly but maybe not

Mine didn’t throw a code right away. I was looking over everything before I figured it out. It look about 4-5 times starting it for it throw the cel for misfire.

Do you think I’ll have a problem with this injector? I had it soaking in seafoam for 4 months while rebuilding my engine. My buddy told me it should be left in wd40.

Its honestly running lean enough (17 to off the gauge) so it very well could be they did sit for about a month in the car while I dealt with other stuff, Ive seen stranger things happen.

As for your injector you should be fine, I usually leave mine in marvel mystery oil if I know they are going to be sitting for a while, but anything like that should keep them fine over time. Id just check them like you did in the video to at leat make sure they are functioning

Its honestly running lean enough (17 to off the gauge) so it very well could be they did sit for about a month in the car while I dealt with other stuff, Ive seen stranger things happen.

As for your injector you should be fine, I usually leave mine in marvel mystery oil if I know they are going to be sitting for a while, but anything like that should keep them fine over time. Id just check them like you did in the video to at leat make sure they are functioning

Will do. That’s exactly what my afr’s were doing during cruise and idle before the rebuild. Be ok then just go super lean for a second.

Yeah mine like that now all the time idle and moving. Some days though ill start it and it will idle perfectly at 14.7 but then I shut it off and turn it back on and its back to lean. Might actually have a fuel pump going out? Never considered that but just thought of that talking this out

Any one able to check the tune over to give the okay just to make sure its good? Also pulled all the plugs this morning all white to the whole system is running lean not just 1 injectors so either something timing related tune or fuel pressure

Any one able to check the tune over to give the okay just to make sure its good? Also pulled all the plugs this morning all white to the whole system is running lean not just 1 injectors so either something timing related tune or fuel pressure

Post a log

Maybe I didnt load the tunes in correctly? I have never used link before and read over everything so I very well could have over looked something. But I had tunes sent over to me, I know the guy that did them and not worried there its probably something I mixed up with the tune or didnt do something properly.

I got the tune connected to the car, key on engine off loaded it to link and then saved them to the ecu.

Last edited:
Okay I just checked on my compute that the logs and info there is not actually the tune so it looks like I either installed them wrong or accidentally deleted them. Im going to clear link and re load them up here in a little and see what I can come up with

So I just went out and cleared everything and started over this is what the log gave me now. Thing looks much better so I must have mixed something up at one point. Now my only issue is I cant seem to get my AEM wideband to properly log. Its there in the log but not recording the values properly. Any one have any idea, I have it wired in to the Rear O2 wire. I also put a log on here just for the sake of it

Attachments

• log.2020.10.20-04.elg
    218 KB · Views: 25
Thanks everyone for the help got everything pretty much dialed in and WB o2 is logging properly now. Few issues I was causing and this was just a base tune so I went it back out to get re adjusted and then go from there!

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back