The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 2G Transmission spline stuck in transfer case

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashton3D

Probationary Member
Jul 21, 2022
Regina, SK_Canada
The spline going into the transfer case seems to be stuck in the transfer case. Any tips on removing it? I've seen previous posts about trying vice grips on it and hammering it towards the transmission, but that didn't work. All the transmission fluid leaked out also if that means anything, I saw nothing about needing to empty transmission fluid to remove the transfer case / oil pan.

It seems that something happened with the ball detent on the spline and now the spline moves in and out of the transmission with too much play to get the transfer case off as it gets stuck on the oil pan.

The overall goal is to remove the oil pan to fix some stripped threads on the return tube, and the oil pan is completely loose, but it's clear that it's impossible to get it off without completely removing the transfer case.

The picture attached is how far that the transfer case is able to move out from the transmission, spline is around centre of the shot.

This vehicle also hasn't run in 20+ years, working on getting it back up and running again. My dad tried holding channel locks on the spline and I tried wiggling it away towards driver side but that didn't work either.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Solution
Sprayed the hell out of it with penetrating fluid, let it soak for a bit, then I clamped onto it with vice grips and a rag protecting the shaft.

Made sure the transfer case stayed steady in place, and beat on the vice grips that were clamped on with a dead blow mallet. It eventually moved slightly and I was able to pry it out the rest of the way.
I had a similar situation but I don't think you would want to do what I did, I wound up removing the whole engine, transmission, and transfer case because it was stuck. Oddly enough the shaft is still in the transfer case. It did take a bit of hammering but I did it outside of the engine bay, you might be able to do it there but it will be a very tight fit since that shaft is not.

I had a similar situation but I don't think you would want to do what I did, I wound up removing the whole engine, transmission, and transfer case because it was stuck. Oddly enough the shaft is still in the transfer case. It did take a bit of hammering but I did it outside of the engine bay, you might be able to do it there but it will be a very tight fit since that shaft is not.
Yeah... definitely wouldn't want to do that. Don't have the tools for it. My only mechanical experience is replacing suspension and fixing a differential on an F10 BMW. My dad's only mechanical experience is working on DSM's back in the early 2000's late 90's, nothing this big though.

I don’t see any lube up there yet. I would spray the shit out of it for a couple days and a couple times a day and then revisit the vice grip thing maybe.

I ended up removing the entire motor when I came across this problem as stated above. Although I believe @enriquez2000 had this issue a little while ago. Maybe he will chime in a let you know how he resolved the issue while the motor is still in the bay. I think he’s west coast so idk when he’d see this.

-Daniel

Pull the Viscous Coupler off and pull it out of the trans from the other side.

Pull the Viscous Coupler off and pull it out of the trans from the other side.
Hold up tex. You can't do that.

The spline going into the transfer case seems to be stuck in the transfer case. Any tips on removing it? I've seen previous posts about trying vice grips on it and hammering it towards the transmission, but that didn't work. All the transmission fluid leaked out also if that means anything, I saw nothing about needing to empty transmission fluid to remove the transfer case / oil pan.
You pulled the shaft out past the seal. That's why fluid leaked out. An unfortunate side effect of this problem. Worst case you could find another shaft and cut this one. You still would need to open up the trans and replace the detent ball unless you want to do this again later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification Paul, you know those transmissions so well you must dream about them ;) :thumb:

I think Marty is on the right track, though.
If I were in this bind, I'd pull the top case to the trans, pull the viscous coupling, then you have part of the shaft you can grab with vicegrips (maybe use a rag or soft jaws as to not gouge the shaft). Then you can use a prybar between the bellhousing and transfer case to see if you can pop it loose. Also, as mentioned before, lots of penetrating oil where it's seized.
Possibly a slide hammer on the VC side of the shaft if a prybar doesn't work.

Why not just put the ball in then you can pry?
I could definitely try. I'll see if I can find any good posts here on putting that detent ball back in, don't think I could before but I didn't check too hard. Is it possible to get a new ball if this one is lost? I have no clue what happened here, if the transmission has previously been apart or anything. Engine got a fresh rebuild before it was parked so it's possible they might've done something with the transmission and never put the detent back...

You will run into problems doing this. And you will need to take more off than you think to get your hands physically on the output shaft in the trans, let alone finding where the detent ball now resides.

Either way, trans needs to be opened up now.

I sprayed penetrating fluid on it last night, got the transfer case and oil pan off this morning. Made it come off much easier.

Is it possible that the detent ball somehow came loose while I was trying to take the transfer case off, and now it's rolling around in the transmission? Or is this just something that a previous shop messed up?

I don't want to have to take the transmission apart, and if it works without the detent ball I'll leave it without the detent ball. I just don't want that ball to get into a gear and break off a tooth or something.

I sprayed penetrating fluid on it last night, got the transfer case and oil pan off this morning. Made it come off much easier.

Is it possible that the detent ball somehow came loose while I was trying to take the transfer case off, and now it's rolling around in the transmission? Or is this just something that a previous shop messed up?
I really want to hear Tim's opinion on this. I say no. It was left out. I don't see how it's possible. No I can totally see somebody thinking they installed and it fell out and they didn't notice.
I don't want to have to take the transmission apart, and if it works without the detent ball I'll leave it without the detent ball. I just don't want that ball to get into a gear and break off a tooth or something.

I really want to hear Tim's opinion on this. I say no. It was left out. I don't see how it's possible. No I can totally see somebody thinking they installed and it fell out and they didn't notice.
My dad used to take it to shops to work on it and he said the one shop that would've been in that area was apparently decently sketchy so I feel it's likely it was left out. Don't want to risk it though.

Thanks for your help.

Before you disassemble the transmission, once you get the shaft removed, you can always try a slim, flexible shaft retrieving magnet in the axle hole, and inserted into the drain plug port to see if you can get lucky and find the ball.

Sprayed the hell out of it with penetrating fluid, let it soak for a bit, then I clamped onto it with vice grips and a rag protecting the shaft.

Made sure the transfer case stayed steady in place, and beat on the vice grips that were clamped on with a dead blow mallet. It eventually moved slightly and I was able to pry it out the rest of the way.

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back