The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Starts and runs for 30 seconds, then dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohlegend

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2012
Pemberville, Ohio
After I found a massive air leak between my header and turbo, the car has made some progress. (FYI I bought a 2G the sat for 2 years and needed to be put back together. ) The problem is I cant keep it running. I will start it up, it will idle great for 30 seconds, then die. I am able to start the car right up again.
Each time I do it, it is 30 seconds, then it dies.

I have replaced:
Spark plugs
alternator
spark wires
blocked off the fiav
new tps
fuel filter
fuel pump
injectors
fixed and ported the head (had 6 bend valves)
The motor has 0 miles on it
Turbo is new
I cleaned the throttle plate and body

Just fixed this on mine. Ended up being a boost leak. Are you postive its not a leak? Otherwise check ISC. Maybe you have a kaput sensor.

Sounds like a post maf vacuum leak. The car will fire up on base values and then tries to idle down. Its probably going super lean do to unmetered air flow and konking out.

Yes it would. Definitely sounds like a bad/disconnected MAF or a post MAF boost/vacuum leak.

The idle seems higher than 1000 rpm, at least from my couch. Leak after MAF would make the mot sense.
I would ohm out the sensor. Put your testers to 10000 then see if your reading is okay. If it gives you infinity resistance then you know your sensor crapped the bed.

Did you have the throttle body off? Mabye need to reset tps and biss screw?

I would start here. Tps has a voltage range/sweep for it to work properly. For the biss screw I ususally screw it all the way in and then back it out 3 complete turns and use that as my base point for idle.

I have an update.
The MAF sensor was bad and I found a big leak at the Intake manny.
Apparently the gasket was not the right size, and it was paper.
I have a new felpro gasket that I am going to be putting on it tomorrow.

BTW: Boost test passed, Vac test failed at the intake manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back