The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 2G FWD Front axle problem and front axle seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samusisback

Proven Member
Apr 21, 2016
Joliette, QC_Canada
I did some diging and didnt find anything, my front passenger axle does'nt stay in and i removed it and the seal broke in half so i was wondering if a bad seal would make the axle not cliping in the trans. At first i thought it was because of the C clip so i changed it for a new and it didnt solve the problem

Solution
So here are some picture, i put in the new seal amd it's not leaking anymore, i also put in the old axle that i had with the car, i dont know what i bought to that guy but i guess he thouth it was 4g63t axle but it wasnt. The old seal didnt look like it spin like you said unless i sont see it. The good one is the one on the right
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
No, a bad seal shouldn't make the C-clip fail. Years ago, I had a similar problem on a GST, and it too was the passenger side axle. After install of the axle, all was fine until a day or two later, the axle randomly popped out of the trans and dumped all the gear oil all over the parking lot. This happened twice before I figured out it was the clip. I ended up replacing the clip and all was fine afterward. The only thing I can think of for the seal having influence on the axle is maybe if it's bad, it causes the axle to dip down a bit, if that makes sense? Also, if you replace that seal, it does not get seated all the way in. There's an obvious main body to the seal, and an extended lip, for lack of better description. Only seat it as far as the main body. I made the mistake of pushing one in too far because I didn't know at the time, and replaced it twice.

To me this sounds purely like a clip issue. Unless you somehow have the wrong axle for the car, the clip sounds like it has lost all tension, or was over compressed at some point.

I've never seen an axle seal look that demolished. IDK if that's an oem seal but replace it with an oem

Also looks like the seal was actually spinning. Take a look or post a pic of the axle where the seal sits.

Last edited:
Is that seal in backwards or just that far demolished?
Ya it looks like it's been spinning.
As far as axle popping out, I agree either bad clip or wrong axle or wrong lower straight control arm.

I bought on rtm racing the one that they say is good for my car, how do i know if it was backward, i will post picture of the axle tomorow and of where the seal was sitting, my car wasnt took care peoperly by previous owner, too much wrong than need repair each time i try to repair something

So here are some picture, i put in the new seal amd it's not leaking anymore, i also put in the old axle that i had with the car, i dont know what i bought to that guy but i guess he thouth it was 4g63t axle but it wasnt. The old seal didnt look like it spin like you said unless i sont see it. The good one is the one on the right

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back